Menu

ETC didn't work for me

Christine

I used this with DS2 when he was learning to read, but we suffered through it, and I don't want to repeat it with my younger two.

(We found the "artwork" . . .distracting).

Didn't like 100 EZ lessons (to learn to read) either because the dots and lines were distracting.

(We're easily distracted, apparently!)

So, what would be a good something to teach phonics and reading to my younger boys?

If you are on this board then you have probably heard of it. It doesn't have the little lines and marks...lol. I personally think that looks confusing. OPG has worked well for us. It is quick and to the point, no fluff. It is dry and boring but we can handle that if we just spend about 15 minutes a day on it. That does seem to be enough. I do use ETC with it but you certainly wouldn't need to. I also use lots of the little readers such as bob books. HTH

Dawn

I really like Abeka phonics. My kids have enjoyed the colorful workbooks, and I have enjoyed the thoroughness of the program. This is one of those programs where I believe the teacher's guide is fundamental to the program. The teacher’s guide provides review, drill, and introduces the lessons. If you have never taken a look at Abeka they do have some samples on their website.