Menu

First Grade

cdrumm4448

We just started MP K two weeks ago. I just purchased the TG and use Singapore and OPGTR, and I found all the books elsewhere. So, of course I'm thinking about first grade. I am really compelled by Oak Meadow, there are aspects of MP K I like, but I don't know what I'm looking for. What does everyone like that is similiar to MP or Oak Meadow? Dislikes also, please.

Guest Cindie2dds

I can't help you with something similar to MP. However, what intrigues you about Oak Meadow, and what do you not like about MP? Oak Meadow is a unique program that takes some getting used to, and I could gush all day, but specifics would probably be more help. :)

Edited by Cindie2dds

I can't help you with something similar to MP. However, what intrigues you about Oak Meadow, and what do you not like about MP? Oak Meadow is a unique program that takes some getting used to, and I could gush all day, but specifics would probably be more help. :)

Well, I like Singapore Math, so I substitute. I also have been using ETC and OPGTR, so I omitted MP's phonics. I think I like Oak Meadow because it seems less seatwork-ish, and more learn-during-regular-life-ish. Although I like MP because I can check things off as we do them at the table. If I understand Oak Meadow (from the sample on the website), it's more "Read xyz at bedtime and discuss the next morning." I am worried that I will not actually follow through.

What do you like about Oak Meadow? And what kind of learner do you have? My son is a strong auditory learner, but I'm not sure yet about dd. I don't plan to buy anything now, but I like knowing what I'm doing in advance.

Guest Cindie2dds

Well, I like the fact that it is complete with art and science incorporated in the lessons. It builds on itself and gets quite rigorous, especially in writing, later in the upper elementary grades. There is seatwork, it's just created by the kids from a blank book. I don't want to switch around curricula and Oak Meadow is rock solid from the artsy younger years through their AP classes in high school. It's easily adaptable to different learning styles and my girls are polar opposites. My oldest is a focused math and science type and my youngest is an artsy, lefty twirly girl.

Honestly, the stories are very emotionally age appropriate, which was very difficult to find. I don't want them to lose their innocence too soon. I have a lot of details on my blog with much more specific detail about the reasons I've chosen Oak Meadow. I hope this helps. :)