Menu

Low White Blood Cell count

My son who is 9 had his second CBC last Friday & again his white blood cell count was very low 4.8... He shows no signs of sickness or infection. His platlets were on the lower end 275.. Hemoglobin normal 13.5... We already have one daughter who is 5 who has been diagnosed with Wilms Tumor. SO I am freaking out...we are waiting to hear when his appt will be with the hemotologist.

Anyone have children with low white blood counts??? Anyone???

My son who is 9 had his second CBC last Friday & again his white blood cell count was very low 4.8... He shows no signs of sickness or infection. His platlets were on the lower end 275.. Hemoglobin normal 13.5... We already have one daughter who is 5 who has been diagnosed with Wilms Tumor. SO I am freaking out...we are waiting to hear when his appt will be with the hemotologist.

That would be a normal result from our lab.

What was the cause of your low counts????

We don't know exactly, but the summer he turned 5 we ruled out all of the various scary causes. He's got an odd health history, though. He developed Juvenile Arthritis when he was 2. He's developed what appear to be migraines over the last year or 2, and within the last 2 months he's developed blurry vision (we're in the process of trying to pinpoint the cause).

Not that this helps when you're worrying about your kid, but I will tell you that 4.8 would be high for him--he runs in the high 3s, low4s, and the highest his counts have ever been is 5.2, and that was when he was fighting a virus.

I am a lab tech and I had to crack out the Hematology manual to check these values. For an 8-13 yr old normal values are 4.5-13.5, so that sounds good to me. No reason for freaking out there. Also that is great platelet count; normal platelet count for all ages is 150-450.

I can understand your concern since he has previous health issues but on these values I would like to know if the doctor is going to want to refer you to a hematologist.

My husband consistently runs on the low end of normal. The definition of 'low' seems to vary by medical practitioner.

His Dr. says his levels (which I can't remember off hand) are fine, and consulted with a hematologist who agrees.

Some people just run low. Don't freak out :)