Menu

Could my son's AS be the reason he is struggling with Jensen's Vocabulary so much?

He's 16yo. He's a wonderful reader and has a great vocabulary. Creative writing is one of his favorite hobbies.

Now, he does struggle with math and *anything* that has multisteps. From what I've read, he is a "global" thinker, not a "parts to whole" thinker. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with his struggle with Jensen's Vocab.

He's been working on the very first page for 2 days (about 30 min. each day)and has only gotten a few answers on the page. Honestly, I would have thrown the book across the room by this time if I were him, but he's work diligently at it the past two days. He DID come to me after his 30 minutes was up yesterday and said, "I just don't get this. It doesn't make sense."

I've helped him some both days, so I know he understands what he's supposed to do, but it's just not making sense to him.

A few years ago when he was about 13 or so, he tried the Word Roots computer program from Critical Thinking Co. He was lost as a goose then also. I really thought he just needed to mature then he'd get it, but he hasn't.

I'd really like for him to be exposed to Latin and Greek roots. Maybe I should get that program that has the flashcards with it. Oh, what's the name of it???

If he's a great reader and already has a sophisticated vocabulary, is there a particular goal you have in mind that requires the use of a vocabulary program?

I truly believe that some people do not pick up vocabulary through direct study of roots and parts; they absorb language by osmosis through their reading and what they hear on the radio, etc. I wouldn't have understood this until I saw my daughter acquire vocabulary apparently while she slept -- at fourteen, she often knows of words I only learned in college.

When she expresses an interest in a particular word, we talk about its component parts, think up related words, etc., so that we do a bit of the "component parts" study. But as far as language goes, she's a global thinker, not one who learns by pieces and sequences. Perhaps your son simply doesn't learn in the way that vocabulary workbooks set up?