Menu

Question about CKE Science

Tam101

Yay! We got all our curriculum in the mail yesterday! :party:

I bought Earth and Space for my 3rd grader, this is the first science curriculum I've purchased, not that that makes a difference. He has either taken resource classes or we've done unit studies until now.

Question One: I spent way too much time trying to scan copies out of the book! How do you do it? I'm thinking I'll have to cut out the reproducible. Why didn't they perforate the pages!

Question Two: There is no way my son can handle The "Write About It!" assignment at the end of the units. He is 8 and will be starting FLL3 and WWE3 this year. I think it's a good goal for him to be able to write a paragraph on his own by the end of the year, but until then how would you suggest going about this assignment? Oral, narration, step-by-step hand holding?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering CKE Earth & Space for my 8 yr olds, as well. I've been looking throught it and have thought the same thing....there is too much writing for my dc. I'm either going to save it for next year or just tweak it a bunch. I thought that they could do many of the sheets, but we would probably skip the "reading sheet". I'm trying to figure out a fun way to have them make a book w/ the map sheets etc.

Again, I'm also thinking of waiting until next year. As crazy as it may sound, we are also going to do Nebel's BFSU. I just LOVE his science book. I thought I could weave the 2 books together??

Have you made any more decisions about CKE?

I used this curriculum with my daughter last year. She was 10 and is not a writer, meaning she doesn't like writing all of those end of lesson pages. We didn't use them in a written format. Sometimes I used the end of lesson tests, but most of the end of lesson items we used orally. She is a lapbooker, so I supplemented with many lapbooks and that helped it come alive for her. We did almost all of the experiments and took pictures as the curriculum suggests.

Rather than spend my time at the copy center or scanning, I purchased the download of the reproducible pages from Bright Ideas Press. I believe it costs $12.95, but that cost was very worth it for me.

Also, their yahoo group has some information. People post experiments they are using in place of what is in the curriculum or in addition to, there are files of items people have created in the past. It is helpful a bit for E&S.

Enjoy the program,