Menu

Write With the Best Vol 1 - I opened it.

ChrissySC

I like this program. I have decided to use WWB with RS English and WWE methods.

I opened the notebook, and I was already impressed with the selections. Classical literature that has proven to be appealing to my dd. In Vol 1, the concentration is on descriptive writing with poetry. WWB is divided into units that are scheduled over a span of two weeks.

A typical lesson involves using grammar skills in coordination with the unit focus to mark the literay passage. The student is challenged to find another passage with the same focus from an additional resource. The lessons begin the preparation for the writing piece. An example, make a list of adjectives that describe your favorite place. From this list, the student develops a paragraph that is approximately five sentences long, including a topic and concluding sentence.

Using a proofreading checklist, the writing is checked. The writing is used in another lesson to maintain the unit focus. In a unit, the paragraph written by the student is examined and marked similarlyto the literay passage used as an example.

Both Vol 1 and Vol 2 can be completed within a year. We have chosen to complete one each year.

This is an excellent writing course for those students who struggle with orginal writing. By providing an example, the writing is much easier since the expectations are known.

IMO, if you are following WWE and would like to supplement with a program that is not as intensive as many of the classical curriculums, this is certainly something to look at too. We use WWE methods without purchasing any of the texts. I bought and read the book that would enable me to incorporate the methods of summary, narration, copywork, and dictation within our current history and science curriculums. I am very happy to add WWB to our Language Arts program.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are starting Vol. 1 next year (6th grade). We also use R&S and will continue with that. I've read that it can be difficult to get into at first but that if you stick with it, it begins to make more sense and to carry over into the rest of the student's writing. I've read through most of it and I'm really impressed with it. I love the selections.