Menu

Alternative Science Sequence

Has anyone done the following science sequence:

9th - AP or Honors Chemistry

10th - AP or Honors Biology

11th - AP or Honors Physics

12th - Science Elective

This sequence assumes that Algebra I was taken in 8th grade.

Is it okay to take each science just once, instead of taking an introductory and an AP course? Considering doing chemistry first because it is needed to understand AP Biology.

Currently using Apologia for middle school science. Thinking about using Thinkwell, Teaching Company, or both levels of Apologia books in one year.

Would appreciate any feedback.

That was the sequence I did as a student starting in 10th grade (with no science elective). However, it was only honors Chemistry, not AP. There is a lot on the AP Chem test. I notice that a lot of syllabi that are posted online for this course assume it is the 2nd year of Chem, and that the students are going to spend a good part of the previous summer relearning the chemistry they learned in the first year so they can hit the ground running.

If the student is doing Alg I in 8th, that means they are doing Trig in 11th (?). Would it be better to already have Trig before attempting Physics? I'm not too familiar with the AP Physics test. Does it presume at least concurrent Calculus?

I think the order of science classes looks fine, but I think it would be really challenging for most students to start off with an AP class. I've wondered about this too, but decided that it would be too hard just jumping in with AP. I think that there would be more heavy memorization, whereas having had the course already, there would be more of an understanding and cementing of ideas, and of course some memorization too. Would love to hear from anyone whose dc have done this.

In thinking about this, I think that doing two sciences a year could work with one of them being the AP version of the science done the previous year. I've also heard of doing both regular and AP within the same year doing them a semester each. It's just jumping right to AP that seems light a bit of a leap.

AP chemistry, if I remember correctly, requires some Algebra 2 knowledge but I am not certain how far into the program this is needed. If the student is taking geometry but not bridging into algebra 2, it might be a problem. Basically, unless the AP chemistry has been watered down, it covers topics from advanced chemistry and those topics require more advanced math skills.

But, it's been a while so I am not offended if anyone jumps in and tells me that is no longer the case.

Faith

DD would be taking Saxon Algebra II in 9th grade.

Would chemistry in 9th grade be doable if she takes SAT II exam instead of AP exam?

Teaching Company Chemistry is on sale right now. Is it worth purchasing? Does it include lab demonstrations or only chemical equations/math?

Edited by Jeanine in TX
TC Question

• 2 weeks later...
Would it be better to already have Trig before attempting Physics? I'm not too familiar with the AP Physics test. Does it presume at least concurrent Calculus?

There is an Algebra-based AP Physics test. From the College Board site:

The AP Physics B Exam covers a full-year non-calculus college course on general physics, intended for students not majoring in a physical science or engineering.

I asked the school if she could take either Bio or AP bio as an 8th grader in the high school, but they said no. So, she is doing Apolgia Chem this year at home. I will count this as a high school credit. Then she will do either AP Bio or AP Chem at the high school, followed by the other in 10th, then Physics or AP Physics in 11th, then on to CC. We may do it differently but for now that's our only real choice since we live overseas adn have no access to CC right now.

Jeri

I wouldn't have my student sit any SAT IIs unless it was honors level using a college level chemistry test book. If you take a visit to College Confidential and see when students in brick & mortar schools take these tests, it's usually after the student took a vigorous honors or AP course.

I'd go over to CC and search for posts discussing which science SATs provide the most generous curve and begin with those.

We took an alternative science route with with Taz, excepting he just finished pre-calculus the beginning of his 9th grade year, and had a solid mathematics background. Science and math is easy for Taz, and jumping straight into AP level courses was not a problem.

My dd, Storm, on the other hand, is an average math student. This fall she's taking biology in 9th grade at her charter school that uses Campbell's text with the jaguar on the front cover, and the course is not even honors. I have her working through Bridge Math to make sure she's able to complete and understand how, why, and when to use specific conversions or math applications as she works through the chapter problem sets.

You may want to purchase Bridge Math if you plan to begin with honors chemistry so your dd understands the conversions and math calculations at the beginning of an honors or AP level chemistry textbook.

There is an Algebra-based AP Physics test. From the College Board site:

The AP Physics B Exam covers a full-year non-calculus college course on general physics, intended for students not majoring in a physical science or engineering.

But if the student has already taken the AP test for bio and chem, the B physics test would be superfluous for getting college credit. I don't know of any schools that require more than 2 semesters of science from non science majors.

I suspect the C physics test requires concurrent calc, but I haven't checked.

The only thing the B physics test would do for a student who had already done the bio and chem tests would be to provide more evidence for admissions. But if they've already done well on the previous ones, would this really add anything?

I love coming here. I really appreciate your feedback.

Well, I think that we will only do an introductory chemistry class in 9th grade. Based on FaithManor's comments, I e-mailed Apologia. They strongly recommended that dd complete Algebra II before starting Advanced Chemistry. (She's scheduled to take Algebra II in 9th.)

I have to admit that I have no idea what we'll do in 10th grade. Does intro chemistry provide enough knowledge to do well on AP Biology later? If not, we could do advanced chemistry in 10th, but I am not sure it is wise to wait to do biology in 11th.

I really miss the good old days when we just took a science class and called it a day. Life has really changed since I was in high school. :tongue_smilie: