Menu

If you use Campbell's Living Memory ...

greenmamato3

I've recently received my copy of Andrew Campbell's Living Memory.

Wow. It's quite the compendium.

But I'm overwhelmed in knowing how to parce it out for my kiddos.

HELP!!! What have you done, plan to do, or found doesn't work at all?

I'm the type that likes to memorize things that we've been learning about or will soon be learning about, typically speaking.

I am planning to use Pudewa's Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization for our Poetry needs ....

I have my own list of scriptures that they will be memorizing.

So, that leaves me with Math, History, Science, Grammar, Hymns ...

right?

Do you have memory work from each subject that your child works on each day during Memory Work time? Or do you alternate subjects? or what??

:bigear:

We have memory work folders set up with tabs for Today, Day 1-4 (we have a four day week) and 1-30 (for the date).

So if we had started school today, they would study what's behind Today, and review what's behind Day 1 and the tab that says 2. When they know it, then they move it back to the next level of tabs.

What I usually do is write down a list of things from LM or LDTPM or whatever strikes our fancy ;) and put it in my planning folder. My list is split by categories- Ancient History, Biology, Math, Geography, Poems. The first few listings under An. Hist. say:

Early hist. periods LM 333

Egyptian hist periods LM 333

Egyptian Ennead LM 124

The LM is so I know it is in living memory.

I mark the few things that everyone is going to learn no matter what, but mostly I let them pick from the list what they are going to do next. Usually they are currently working on two things- some kind of list and some kind of poem or speech. Two at a time is enough for us. The list is usually from math, science, or history; but sometimes history is a poem or speech. And geography usually gets learned at other places in our curriuculm, I just add it to the day of the month tabs when they know it, so it keeps coming up for review.

thanks.

so *how* do you have them memorize the lists? do you develop little jingles, chants, songs, poems, setnences? or just recite straight?

i think i struggle the most with the history facts and to some extent random bible knowledge like the 12 tribes. i want it to hang together and not just be a list ...

also, because we use Rightstart Marth, I've struggled to really be systematic with their math facts. i don't want rote memorization of math facts but i also would like faster recall. are the Addition and Subtraction facts to song really worth purchasing?

we do use ( and LOVE) geography songs, we've got the states and capitals, we love our poetry in Pudewa, and i'm pretty steady with the grammar stuff b/c it's something we like anyway. i wish there was something like that for history, bible facts, etc. we do our memory verses to song. we do our hymns to song LOL . tee hee.

also, do you find that you start off (for example) your grammar lesson with the review/memory work for that subject or do you do a BLOCK of memory work at some point in the day that contains ALL the memory lists for all subjects? i can see pros and cons both ways.

i did develop a notebook last night for them. we glanced through it and did our first day. i have a tab for each day. there is material common to the two kids on each day and some that is individual (example, the K'er is working on her phone number, address, etc .... while the 2nd grader obviously isn't). we do a four day week as well. the Pudewa is in a separate section and obviously can stand alone with the every third poem every third day type grid (love that.).

i made one entire document full of all the memorization i want each child to do, then i printed it and stuck it into the 4 days' tabs, parcing and distributing it as evenly as possible.

do you have your child read silently over their lists, or require aloud?

:confused:

i so badly just want this part of our day to be seamless. so far, it's not streamlined. :bigear: