Menu

Fiction book recc for older kids or RA

LibrarianMom

I just finished reading Magic by the Book by Nina Bernstein. This book was so much fun. I originally checked it out thinking my dd8 would enjoy it. She turned up her nose at it since she's really into horses right now, but I decided to read it before returning it to the library. This would be a great book for older elementary kids and I'm glad my dd decided not to read it yet. This book mentions lots of other books older kids are likely to have read and without that knowledge wouldn't be as much fun to read.

Plot summary: 3 kids check out a bunch of books from the local library. At the bottom of their book basket they find a book they don't remember checking out that is blank. But then they discover the book begins to have pictures of them. They are magically pulled into the book which is actually scenes from other books they have already read and they use the information they know about the stories to get themselves (and other characters) out of jams. Although titled Magic by the Book, the only magic is getting pulled into the book and that some of the stories involved are legends or fairy tales that might involve magic.