Menu

Questions about Pen Pals, (especially interested in those who are learning French!)

I'm wondering how long after starting a language you should look for a pen pal?

I guess what I'm envisioning at this point, (at least for DD), would be her dictating to me and me writing, and then me reading the return letters, since we haven't started learning how to read in French yet. Or something of a hybrid, where the kids could write some in English and then dictate some in French?

We don't know any French speakers... and I think she would really love to actually DO something with what she's learning. Right now she knows plenty of basic conversational stuff, pretty much what I learned in one semester of French at college, but we are starting a curriculum soon. (Either Nallenart or Le Francais Facile, undecided right now.)

Is this even feasible, or should I throw this idea out for another year or two? I'm really pulling at strings here trying to get her some communication in the language, but talking just to Mommy is getting old!! :D