Menu

Spanish. Where do we do from here?

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here...my plans have been messed up and I am just at a loss. Hopefully someone here can offer some help!

Here is what she's done so far:

9th grade - Rosetta Stone level 1 using all supplemental materials.

10th grade - local home school class labeled as High School Spanish 1

11th grade - Elementary Spanish at local community college. 100% final grade.

After getting a slow start, something revved up her gears mid-way into the home school class in 10th grade. Since then she has desperately wanted to fit as much Spanish into her transcript as possible. After taking the community college course in the fall of 11th grade, she had planned to do Spanish 2 in the spring semester, but it was not available.

So then her plan was to take Spanish 2 and Spanish 3 this year through the Learn & Earn (Dual Enrollment) program in NC. That way she could have at least 4 credits to show. (We don't know what to call her first year of Spanish, since it looks like she repeated Spanish 1 in 10th grade. In hindsight, it would have been better to take Spanish 2 in 10th grade...

Unfortunately the NC Legislators threw a monkey wrench into the plan by cutting all humanities from the program. Now we are limited to just math, science and technology courses. (Just happened in the past few weeks, community colleges are scrambling around trying to figure out what to do since many students were already registered).

So here is my question. After taking Spanish 1 at college level, where does she go from there if further college courses aren't available?

We really can't pay the tuition costs at other non-state programs (such as what she could take at Liberty, or another college that might have a high school program)

I initially thought that taking High School Spanish 2 would be too easy for her after college level 1, but High School Spanish 3 would probably be too much of a jump. So am I wrong? Should she just go back to HS Spanish 2??

Edited by nchser

If you are putting her into a local high school class, maybe the teacher could give her a placement test. If this is going to be a home study course, see if there is a placement test. Accelerate as needed. You could call it Spanish 2 or Spanish 3 depending on where she ends up with it.