Menu

Fun way to teach letter names...he knows sounds, not letter names...

thundersweet

I am using SWR with him. He's almost 6 and I think he needs to know letter names. He does know all the sounds the letters make. He just doesn't know the names. It bugs me. :lol: I need FUN ways for him to learn them. Any ideas? I have just been showing him the letters and saying the names and it's just not sticking.

Thanks,

Sandy

I have taught touch and say...I put a bunch of magnetic letters on the board and have the child touch and say the name of the letter as fast as they can...once they do it I "time" them and we see if they can get faster...I use the same letters for about a week and I avoid the easily confused like b/d in the same set of letters

Leapfrog's Letter Factory video! There are very few videos that I let my kids watch / think are truly educational and worth it, but this is my #1 choice! If you can borrow it, do that, because at almost 6, I would bet that after 3 viewings, you won't need it anymore!

I have these videos and he's just not crazy about them. He has watched them though several times and well....here we are.

Any other ideas? Games would be good.

Thanks,

Sandy

What about Go Fish with letter cards? You could make them or buy a couple sets of alphabet cards. I'd also use the cards and drill him.