Menu

SOS French or Breaking the Barrier French?

I'm not sure which to go with. My dd15 is wanting to study French this year for 10th grade. I want her to be able to use a curriculum that will teach her not only the written aspect of French but also a conversational aspect too. This will be her first year of studying a foreign language. Which of these two do you think would be better to reach that goal? Any suggestions? This is the only subject I have left for purchasing that I'm undecided on and not sure of.

Any advice would be great and appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Guest Tassinka

There is a course you can get through Houghton Mifflin by Veronique Anover called " A Vous" which has text, student handbook, CD's and online helps and tests. It was available at our local Jr College. If you can find a French Club, that would be helpful OR a french pen pal or facebook "ami". Interaction, of course, is best when learning a language.

Some friends of ours are American missionaries in southern France who have been living among French-speaking people (incl. in Africa) for over 10 years and are fluent in French. If you're interested, let me know and I can give you a link to their blogs, etc.

:)

Here's another free resource:

FSI Language Course - French

The Intro to French Phonology provides excellent instruction for developing an ear for the French accent and for proper pronunciation. Though we weren't very consistent with it, ds quickly learned to speak with a very good accent. Unfortunately, some of the French programs marketed to homeschoolers seem less precise with the pronunciation, based on my limited experience.

The student listens to the audio component while following along in the Student Text (pdf). In an upper-division French course at U.T.-Austin (advanced oral expression), we used one of texts of the French Basic Course (I think volume 2) and the audio tapes at the language lab. And now it's all free!

This is the series that used to be used for American diplomats preparing to go abroad.

HTH!