Menu

Foerster's Algebra--where can I see a sample pages?

Can someone direct me to a place where I can see a sample of Foerster's Algebra (1 or 2, no difference).

My plan for my dd 17.5 and a senior who has been ill for the past 7 months is to review her back to basics with Math Mammoth 6A and 6B, then move on to Singapore 7/8 with alternating curriculum from MEP (I really, really like MEP!), leading her into Algebra 1 with Foerster's (or Jacobs). Does this sound "like a plan"?

Your plan does sound fine, but when you say Singapore 7/8 do you mean NEM1? We did part of that for pre-alg. I have never found a site with sample pages of Foerster's Alg. TOC only. If it is feasible for you, I would order both and compare; send back the one you don't want. Yes, you do have to eat some shipping costs. That's what I did. Whether you choose Foerster's or Jacob's is really a matter of your and your dc's preference in presentation. Their scope and sequences are pretty comparable. Both are very good programs. Hope your dd is better.

Sorry--yes, I mean NEM1.

I want her to go back and learn how to see math in action and not just gloss over formulas, which is what she does...she's smart, has a great memory, and is bored with math.

I figure that if she "gets her hands dirty with math", so to speak, she will be able to relate to it a bit better and 1) not be so bored (impatient) and 2) see that it (higher math) has some relevance to the world and thus, she can 3) persevere onwards, because now she has decided she wants to go into zoologoy (eek)....it's going to take a bit of work to get her on an entirely different track.

Yes, I will eat some shipping costs, but I can guess that many of you all have done that!

Thank you for your concern.

Funny! My dd says she wants to be an entomologist. Our fridge always has bugs in containers in it. Friends get a little creeped out sometimes.

NEM1 has a great intensive mathematics review in the first 4 (I think) chapters. Maybe 5 chapters. From there we switched to Foerster's Alg 1. I have an older edition. I would like to have continued with the NEM series, but I just can't teach it. And dh, who does our upper level math around here, prefers the more traditional track.

Either Foerster's or Jacob's will "get her hands dirty." Good luck!

Mary