Menu

Which Spanish program for this child?

Staceyshoe

I've been reading and reading threads about Spanish programs and finally decided to start my own. :D Ds is definitely a visual learner. If he sees something written down, he learns very quickly. When he only hears something, it takes about 10 times as many repetitions to learn and he often mis-hears (or just mispronounces) new vocabulary. He hates anything with a lot of writing, so we'll be learning orally but would like to have some written materials for him to look at. He's in first grade and highly motivated to learn Spanish (I had planned to start Latin but he's been asking for Spanish, so I think plans are changing.;)) I'm looking for something fun. I took Spanish in high school eons ago but am interested in learning with him so we can practice together.

So, after my long-winded description, what suggestions do you have for us?

The Elementary Spanish videos from Discovery Education might be a good match. I haven't started using them myself, but have watched parts of a few and skimmed the teacher guides. There are a few activity sheets and a number of 20-30 minute videos. They show the spoken words on the screen a lot, too.