Menu

Another question about McRuffy phonics

Angel in FL

I ordered the K level for my daughter and it should arrive tomorrow. At the completion of level K, will she be able to read regular readers like the Step into Reading series? What type of books will she be able to read or will she be able to read books beside the McRuffy readers before completing K?

If you have used K, did you continue through 1st - up or move to something else?

Thanks!

Hi Angel,

We are using the K now. I do plan on continuing with it. Since we haven't finished K yet, I don't know if I really know the answers yet. I can tell about the last reader (book 20). This might give you an idea of where she'll be at by the time you've finished K.

Greg's Grape Ride

The bug has a gray nose. His name is Greg.

Greg is on the green grass. The bug will graze.

"I do not like the grass," gripes Greg. "I will get a big green grape."

A grape is on the vine. Greg shakes the vine.

The grape is on Greg. Greg groans.

A blue jay grabs the grape. Greg in in the grape.

A bus in in the way. The blue jay groans.

The blue jay goes away. Greg grins.

The bus will go on the road. The grape is still on the grill.

Greg grips the grill. The bug will ride the bus.

The bus stops. Greg is not on the grill.

The grape is in the grate. Greg can not grip the grate.

The grape can float. Greg came out of a pipe.

Greg grips the grass.

Greg will graze on the grass. The bug will not gripe.

It's me again. I had wanted to add that some of the reasons that I plan on sticking with McRuffy is that:

~ my daughter LOVES it

That's always a good thing!

In addition to phonics,

~ it includes handwriting (& copywork)

~ it includes spelling

~ it includes grammar

~ it includes reading comprehension

No need to look for separate programs for those things. Yay!!

~ the customer service can't be beat. Brian will always e-mail you back very quickly. When I was about to place my initial order, the only math manipulatives I did not already own were the little colored cubes. I asked him if I could use our MUS little blocks. He said that the McRuffy cubes were color specific for the pages....so he sent me the cubes at no charge! Also, I had told him that there were several things that Rainbow Resource sold a little cheaper and that I'd probably order those things from them. He offered to price match everything (how many companies do that?). Lastly, when our phonics arrived I looked through all the readers and noticed that one was missing. I e-mailed him to let him know and he mailed one out that very same day.

Anyway, just wanted to mention these additional things. I really do think it's a wonderful program and I'm happy that you'll be starting it. :001_smile:

Edited by ~AprilMay~