Menu

No $$ for BJU Spanish 1 DVD, so which SOS Spanish is the "right" one?

Since figuring out that BJU's program is not going to work out for us, I took note of the high recommendations for SOS Spanish.

Mmm.. There are several programs and several years of publications. I saw on CBD there is a new 2008 version but it looks like it is geared for Vista. We don't have that, so what exactly am I looking for? (We do have Windows XP).

If you can give me exact title, year published, ISBN, or item number for the "right" spanish program, Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Also, what is the difference between SOS Spanish 1 and SOS Secondary Spanish? Anyone know?

TIA,

...are the ones that Jean in WI recommended on the boards here, so those were the ones that I purchased for my son who wanted to learn Spanish. They are excellent courses, and he uses them on a Windows XP computer. He uses the 2007 edition, and the course has been great for him.

Spanish I - 2007 edition - ISBN 9780740314674

Spanish II - 2007 edition - ISBN 9780740314674

I remember Jean saying that the courses her daughter took were not the Elementary Spanish or the Secondary Spanish ones, so that is why I chose Spanish I and II. If I remember correctly, she said that these other two courses were simplified and covered less ground than Spanish I and II.

I just saw that AO has the SOS courses on sale at 20% off through the end of this month, too. I don't know if the 2008 courses will require Vista or just be compatible with it. I do know that the 2007 courses work great on XP.

Hth

• 5 months later...

I see that the OP posted a while back, but I'm new to WTM, and just saw this.

This site has every SOS subject, (listed by subject, not grade) and every lesson title.

The electives are way toward the end.

There is Elementary Spanish, Secondary Spanish, Spanish I, and Spanish II. It really helped me to decide which one.

http://www.agdistribution.com/Curric...ndSequence.pdf

Be careful. I think that the elementary and secondary Spanish courses of Alpha Omega are the old Powerglide courses. The courses that LaJuana mentioned would be the Spanish 1 and Spanish II for Switched on Schoolhouse.

ALso, beware of trying SOS Spanish 2 if you used another Spanish 1 program. I tried to have my ds jump into SOS 2, but it was too advanced for him. If your child did do another Spanish 1 program, but you really feel led to do SOS Spanish, then go with SOS Spanish 1. However, have your student go through it quickly as a review and to learn anything new. Then your dc will be ready for SOS 2. You could also compare what SOS 2 teaches compared to other Spanish programs. You might could cover SOS 2 in three semesters and use the last semester of the third year Spanish for translation work. Now if I could get my youngest interested in Spanish then perhaps we could start in SOS I!!

Jan