Menu

New here, starting my 1st high schooler

Hello there! I am starting my oldest in high school this fall and have been trying to decide about curriculum. First, it was Sonlight's 200 core, then 100, but now I'm thinking of using the WTM method with Susan's book or Omnibus. My dd wants harder books and 100 is way too easy in that respect. I've enjoyed reading through the threads here.

What is the big difference between WTM and Omnibus?

Thank you for your help,

Michon R.

Omnibus gives you specific questions for each book and a set curriculum of reading. It is more worldview than WTM. It has writing assignments to accompany the books.

WTM gives you a more overall look . It includes suggestions for currcuilum for all subjects. It has reading lists for each historical period. It has some general questions to ask after each book. It gives suggests for writing curriculum, and some great writing suggestion (how to write a report) but it doesn't have specific writing assignemts for each book. If you do WTM, I would also suggest WEM, which has questions for each genre of writing, and talks about how to read.

I mainly used Omnibus. BUt I also used WTM suggestions. And we also used the WEM questions.

Hi and welcome. I am a big Sonlight fan and my kids are all readers - and my oldest in particular likes 'hard' books too! She did Sonlight 100 in 11th grade, but matched it with the US Literature from Sonlight 400. You are correct - the literature in core 100 is too easy for high school.

But the core 100 history material is great and my dd went on to write the AP US History exam and scored a 5!

My kids do Sonlight all the way through high school and they have an excellent grasp of history and literature - and even more exciting, they all love them too!

Hi and welcome. I am a big Sonlight fan and my kids are all readers - and my oldest in particular likes 'hard' books too! She did Sonlight 100 in 11th grade, but matched it with the US Literature from Sonlight 400. You are correct - the literature in core 100 is too easy for high school.

But the core 100 history material is great and my dd went on to write the AP US History exam and scored a 5!

My kids do Sonlight all the way through high school and they have an excellent grasp of history and literature - and even more exciting, they all love them too!

If you did the literature from Core 400 then what did you do in 12th grade? What cores did you do with your kids? All 4 in order or out of order?

TIA,

Michon

My dd is doing this for high school:

9th grade Sonlght's Alt 7 World History - loved it!

10th grade Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World for High School (Sonlight did not have an ancient history for high school)

11th grade Sonlight's Core 100 (but will have to substitute some of the literature books for more grade-level work)

12th grade Notgrass US Govt and Economics

My ds is doing this:

9th grade Beautiful Feet's Medieval, Renaissance and Reformation History

10th grade Sonlight Core 100

11th grade Sonlight 20th Century World History

12th grade Notgrass US Govt/Economics

Hello there! I am starting my oldest in high school this fall and have been trying to decide about curriculum. First, it was Sonlight's 200 core, then 100, but now I'm thinking of using the WTM method with Susan's book or Omnibus. My dd wants harder books and 100 is way too easy in that respect. I've enjoyed reading through the threads here.

What is the big difference between WTM and Omnibus?

Thank you for your help,

Michon R.

I don't have much advice only an opinion about SL for high school. I do not believe SL is rigorous enough for high school I did some SL with my first graduate and looking back, it wasn't enough. Have you looked in to TOG? I researched them and concluded from others and viewing their samples that their high school levels are very rigorous so I have chosen to go with TOG from here on out.

I've looked at Tapestry before and it looks good. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to pick a curriculum and be able to stick with it for 4 years of HS. That's my hope, but who knows what the future holds?

My Father's World program looks good, too.

Thinking of a life long plan. I'd like my kids to be life-long learners, knowing how to study what they are interested in. That's what appeals to me about the WEM book. I've been reading through some of the books myself and my oldest is looking forward to those harder books. I think a 4 year course of study through history, with corresponding literature will be a good plan.

Michon