Menu

Scheduling MCT at the secondary level

I have looked at the pdf file on the RFWP site with regards to scheduling The Magic Lens, Word Within the Word, and the 4Practice book. For those of you that have already done this (Dragonacademy?), how long did you schedule for the first portion of Magic Lens? Did you allow a week per loop? I am still unclear as to how to line everything up and help at this point would be appreciated.

The Magic Lens matches up Word within the Word lists along with the loops. I think it is two WWW lists for each loop, so that would be two weeks or so per loop. The grammar loops are used all year along with the vocabulary.

Thanks, Melissa. I think I am going to have to resort to pen and paper so I can "see" how it is going to fit together. I was a bit slack on lining things up for the Voyage level. We would just do grammar until we were tired. Not sure why I feel the need to have a schedule this year except that the work level steps up. Working on HST has pinched my brain.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Melissa. I think I am going to have to resort to pen and paper so I can "see" how it is going to fit together. I was a bit slack on lining things up for the Voyage level. We would just do grammar until we were tired. Not sure why I feel the need to have a schedule this year except that the work level steps up. Working on HST has pinched my brain.:tongue_smilie:

The books are definitely already meshed together more for you at the next level. I pulled Magic Lens I off the shelf and Section one of Magic Lens (Parts of Speech) goes along with Word within the Word lessons 1-8, Section 2 (Parts of Sentence) with WWW lesson 9, Section 3 with WWW lesson 10 and Section 4 has no WWW lessons. Then each Loop has two Word with the Word lessons. So basically each book is done all year long.

The books are definitely already meshed together more for you at the next level. I pulled Magic Lens I off the shelf and Section one of Magic Lens (Parts of Speech) goes along with Word within the Word lessons 1-8, Section 2 (Parts of Sentence) with WWW lesson 9, Section 3 with WWW lesson 10 and Section 4 has no WWW lessons. Then each Loop has two Word with the Word lessons. So basically each book is done all year long.

So it looks like the pacing on the grammar is significantly slower than the elementary levels where MCT encourages you to finish the grammar book in a month to 6 weeks. By pg. 36 in Magic Lens you've only covered nouns, verbs, and adjectives under parts of speech, but you are on list 4 from The Word Within the Word. If I understand right, this should take four weeks since I can't imagine doing the vocabulary lists any faster. Does that sound about right?

So it looks like the pacing on the grammar is significantly slower than the elementary levels where MCT encourages you to finish the grammar book in a month to 6 weeks. By pg. 36 in Magic Lens you've only covered nouns, verbs, and adjectives under parts of speech, but you are on list 4 from The Word Within the Word. If I understand right, this should take four weeks since I can't imagine doing the vocabulary lists any faster. Does that sound about right?

Yes. Back when I spoke with Mr. Thompson his suggestion was one vocabulary list per week. That would give you a few weeks (6 weeks if you go with the standard school calendar) to do other things such as more focus on report writing or poetry, putting on a play, catching-up if you need the time, more focus on a specific grammar area, etc.

You will actually finish the main part of the gramar book in ten weeks. That is really the only part in the lower level books. The loops are extra practice (especially since there were no 4practice books when he originally put together the series) and an opportunity for older children to dig a bit deeper into grammar than at the elementary level.

Yes. Back when I spoke with Mr. Thompson his suggestion was one vocabulary list per week. That would give you a few weeks (6 weeks if you go with the standard school calendar) to do other things such as more focus on report writing or poetry, putting on a play, catching-up if you need the time, more focus on a specific grammar area, etc.

You will actually finish the main part of the gramar book in ten weeks. That is really the only part in the lower level books. The loops are extra practice (especially since there were no 4practice books when he originally put together the series) and an opportunity for older children to dig a bit deeper into grammar than at the elementary level.

This is very helpful and makes sense. Thanks so much, Melissa. Have a good one.