Menu

Two questions about TRISMS

I'm looking at TRISMS. I noticed that it uses excerpts for literature. Do colleges expect that students will have read ALL of every work in high school? Or is it okay to do TRISMS, and have the students read only some of the works in their entirety?

Also, does TRISMS recommend some basic reference works, or are you completely on your own? I'm asking because we were frustrated when using Around the World in 180 Days, because some of the questions were hard to answer without using a specific encyclopedia.

Thanks,

Wendi

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I have only gone through the first volume of the series (Discovering the Ancient World) so I can't say with certainty what the other books are like (though I do own them all and can look if you have specific questions:D). In DAW they include excerpts from required readings, short stories, poems, etc. In DAW they were often literature from the time period (Code of Hammurabi, etc). The student CAN read the entire book if you want. The student is also supposed to read historical fiction and/or biographies (1 per month). Here is a list of the excerpts included with DAW:

The Story of Creation - Norse Myth

The Story of Creation - Greek Myth

Hurakan & Gucumatz - The Story of Creation from Central America

Ra and Sekhmet - The Story of Creation from Etypt

The flood by Ovid - Roman

The Yellow Emperor and the Great Flood - China

Manu & the Fish - India

The story of the Flood from the Epic of Gilgamesh

Deucalion's Flood - Greek Flood Myth

The Coming of Evil

Summary of Part 1 from the Epic of Gilgamesh

Part 2 - The Forest Journey from the Epic of Gilgamesh

Part 3 - Ishtar and Gilgamesh, & the Death of Enkidu

Part 4 - The Search for Everlasting Life

Hieroglyphic alphabet chart

Egyptian poetry

The story of Sinuhe - Egyptian short story

The Tale of the Doomed Prince

Theseus & the Minotaur - Greek Myth

Daedalus & Icarus - Greek Myth

The Golden Reed Pipe - Yao Folktale

The Vaulnerable Spot - Yi Folktale

The Legend of Silk

Aryan Hymns from the Rig Veda

A prayer to the Gods of Night - Old Babylonian poem

Selections from the Code of Hammurabi

List of Characters for the Iliad

Book 1 - Quarrel, Oath, and Promise of the Iliad by Homer

Book 2 - Assembly and Muster of Armies

Book 16 - A Ship Fired, A Tide Turned

Book 24 - A Grace Given to Sorrow

Book 9 of the Odyssey by Homer

Writing with Pictures

Sythian Origin Myth & Account of the Scyths by Herodotus

Much of the literature for DAW is short stories/poetry/etc from the time period being studied. One could easily have the student read the entire Epic of Gilgamesh, Iliad and/or Odyssey, etc if you wanted to expand the literature component.

I love TRISMS because it's history that includes literature but isn't mainly literature like Omnibus. It's very rich, in-depth history that studies all aspects of each civilization through time, which includes their literature but isn't studying a civilization by just or mainly reading it's literature. Does that makes sense?

They do have recommended resources but I've expanded on them;):lol:

There is a Yahoo group where there are many who have been through all 4 volumes, who I'm sure can give much better answers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trisms/

Like Cheryl, we have only used DAW so far. We're starting EOC in the fall. I also love this curriculum for it's depth, because it's research based and because my daughter not only enjoyed it, but also got a lot out of it. We used the resource set that TRISMs recommends on their website. In addition, we use our local library and the web quite extensively.