Menu

Duncan, OK homeschool Co-op based on the Classical Conversations Curriculum

Guest RuthD

Guest RuthD

hello! I have just recently moved to the Duncan, OK area from Oregon due to my husband's job situation. I am excited to be starting a homeschool co-op in my home this fall on Wednesday's from 9 am-noon, based on the Classical Conversations Foundations Curriculum! The first class will begin Wednesday, September 15th. If you have kids between the ages of 5 and 9 yrs. and are interested in using the Classical Conversations material or you are already using CC material and would benefit from meeting with other moms and their kids once a week who are using the same curriculum, let me know asap! According to the Classical Conversations program regulations, I can only take 3 other families into my co-op, since we will not be an official CC group, but only based on the CC material (we would have to become an official CC program to include more families). So if you are interested, please contact me soon so that I can save you a spot! :)

I have personally been using the CC curriculum and been part of an organized CC co-op program for the past 2 years with my girls (ages 6 and 5). For one of those years I was a foundations tutor. My goal is to stay very close to a typical CC program schedule which would allow us to glean the most benefit possible from the CC material. My girls and I found a great benefit to meeting once a week with other moms and their kids to introduce the CC material for each new week. Among all of the of many benefits to meeting in a weekly CC co-op group, some benefits include:

1. kids are taught (even from a young age) to speak in front of a group and express their thoughts and ideas with clarity and other elements of good public speaking (as they get older they are taught logic and debate),

2. The memory material for each new week will be presented for each subject area in a creative, enticing way, so that the kids will be interested in the material as they continue to learn it during the duration of the week (we will use: puppets, songs, games, physical activity, etc., etc. to teach the material to the kids so that it is fun and interesting).

3. Mom's will grow in putting together lessons and grow in their creativity of presenting a particular lesson to the children. Mom's will learn from one another what method's are working as we seek to teach our children and what method's are not working. Mom's will learn how to be their children's most effective instructor.

4. The kids will have an opportunity to form friendships and relationships with one another as will the moms! :)

5. Moms become a support system and encouragement for one another in these trying and challenging years of homeschooling. We can encourage one another to press on, have vision and excitement over what we are teaching our children and to stay diligent so that the Lord can make our children useful tools for Him.

here is a link so you can see a little of what CC is about: classicalconversations.com

I would be more than happy to talk with you about the Classical Conversations curriculum if you would like to know more. Give me a call at 503-329-2563! :) or you can always send me an email: depue99@gmail.com.

Blessings!

Ruth

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest brocksmom1

Hi Ruth - I am not sure that you will get this message, but I have tried emailing and calling you at the contact info provided. Would love to know more about your group and more about home educating in the Duncan area, as well. Please email me at: brocksmom1@sbcglobal.net

Thank you,

Jerri Lynn Freeman

• 3 months later...