Menu

for Write Source users (early elementary)

triadofchaos

Are you using all three pieces of the program? The Daily Workout, Skillsbook and Write Source Student Book? How do you implement them in your house? How much, how often from which books? That sort of thing!

Also- do you have the Teacher Guide or do you get along fine without it?

TIA!

Coincidentally I have a Rainbow Resource order arriving this afternoon, and then I'll have all of the components for Write Source for Grade 1 and most of Grade 2. I'll look through them quickly and give an update in case no one else answers you. I don't think the Teacher's Guide is needed for the early levels, but I'll know soon!

If I like the 3 components: Daily Workout, Skillsbook and Student Book, we might drop our WWE and do Write Source full-time. My dd is only 5, but loves to write, so we decided to use Write Source. We're only in the K book, but we're going to zoom through it (we could probably skip to grade 1, we'll see).

That would be great! Thanks!

I'm particularly curious about the Daily Workout book. I'm planning to order the other two from RRC for sure, but wasn't sure about that one.

I'm also going to call Great Source directly b/c they have eBook online access to the Teacher's Guide for one year listed on their website for $25.55 and that is waaaaay better than their price or RRC's for the hardcopy TG. So I might consider getting access to the TG that way if it would be helpful. But if the program's easy enough to implement without it, then I wont sweat it, IYKWIM.

I got my order and looked through it all briefly. I realized I didn't get the overall Teacher's manual. I wanted the lesson plans that pull it all together. Instead I got the Teacher's manual for the Skillbook. That is definitely NOT needed. Page for page it is the same as the Student Skillbook, only with the answers filled in. I will probably purchase that Teacher's Manual, but it is expensive...

Did you get the Teacher's Edition online yet? It says it's $25.55, but when I add it to my cart, it turns into $94.45.

I like the Student Book. It has a good feel to it with colorful, glossy pages and is over 300 pages of helpful instruction. You don't write in it. My daughter fell in love with the red editing marks, lol, and is editing all my writing now.

The SkillsBook is the workbook of course but it doesn't correspond in any way to the Student Book. It's more grammar while the Student Book is about writing. That's why I am wanting the Teacher's Manual to help me plan it all, but I think I could figure it out myself with some time. The pages are perforated, I hope they stay in okay because I don't plan to take them out. The Daily Language Workouts has 36 weeks of sentences/short paragraphs that you write on the board and the student corrects it and then if desired, writes it in her notebook. Starts out simple like inserting one word or adding an end mark. The end of the Second Grade book has the student editing a whole paragraph, concentrating on one thing at a time, like quotation marks. Then the have writing topics/prompts in the back. Probably not totally needed for homeschoolers, but I know my daughter and know she will get a kick out of correcting the sentences.

Guest rubilynne4
Are you using all three pieces of the program? The Daily Workout, Skillsbook and Write Source Student Book? How do you implement them in your house? How much, how often from which books? That sort of thing!

Also- do you have the Teacher Guide or do you get along fine without it?

TIA!

i used all three compnents this last year, bu for some reason it just wasn't the right fit for us. i liked the skillsbooks, the daily workout, and the student book well enough, but i didn't have a teacher's guide. maybe that's why the writing part didn't gel for us. i am going to use IEW and cc this year. i hope it works for us.

I did get the Teacher's Book for 2nd grade. It was helpful in scheduling and giving organization ideas. I used Write Source for first grade but did not have the teacher's book and think it would have been very helpful. Yes, it is ridiculously expensive and buying used would be the way to go.

I still didn't use the materials often enough and we ended up switching to MCT this year for third grade. It's going much better, maybe because it's a lot less planning for me.

Good to know! Guess I'm going to splurge on the teacher's manual. I plan to do Write Source for this year and maybe next, and then perhaps switch to MCT. I can see getting the Write Source Student Book every few years as a resource.

Angela- I had the same experience trying to put the online Teacher's Edition in a cart on the Great Source website. I'm going to try calling them directly next week and questioning them about it to see if I can get the $25.55 price for eBook access for one year. I'll let you know what they say.

Also- while I couldn't find the Grade 1 Teacher's Edition right now, other grade levels are out there on eBay, Albris and other reputable used book and used textbook sites, so that's a possibility too.