Menu

Artsy Folks: More questions pencils/ felt tip black pen

Aludlam

Ok, I need some help picking out more of our Atelier art supplies. I'm trying to find "Drawing Pencils Beginner's Model". I can only assume that this means a cheaper beginner drawing pencil. If someone has the time would they please go to RR and look up "pencil" and then pick out suitable drawing pencils for us to use. (dd8,dd5,dd3 - so they don't need to be fancy - at all!) thank you, thank you, thank you

Also, What is a "Marking pen fine-lined black felt tip"? Is this like a sharpie or plain ole regular thin like black crayola marker?

Thank you all so much!

I would be lost without all your art help!

Angela

For the markers, I wouldn't use a Crayola. We just love fine-lined black felt-tipped markers for drawing and writing even. Our current favorite is a retractable Sharpie that is like a pen, doesn't go through paper. We have other thicker retractable Sharpies for a bit thicker lines. And then we have Prismacolor markers that come in various thicknesses.

We don't use Atelier, but we got turned onto these black permanent markers by reading Drawing With Children.

For the markers, I wouldn't use a Crayola. We just love fine-lined black felt-tipped markers for drawing and writing even. Our current favorite is a retractable Sharpie that is like a pen, doesn't go through paper. We have other thicker retractable Sharpies for a bit thicker lines. And then we have Prismacolor markers that come in various thicknesses.

We don't use Atelier, but we got turned onto these black permanent markers by reading Drawing With Children.

Thanks for answering. Are these just regular sharpies, as in the ones you get at Walmart or a special drawing sharpie? :lol:

Thanks

Angela

We use Artistic Pursuits, so we got our pencils through MisterArt. Here's what they had to say about pencils for this age range:

http://artisticpursuits.com/mfaqs.htm#06

What is the difference between a regular pencil and art pencils?

Regular pencils do not have a wide range of hard to soft leads. This affects the value or ability to get a dark mark. Art pencils have a very wide range of hard to soft leads. The Ebony pencil used in Grades K-3 and Grades 4-6 is a very soft graphite, enabling students to get dark marks easily. Although we say "lead" there is no lead content in a graphite pencil and they are perfectly safe to use.

Here's what they suggest, although you may want different varieties of the hard/soft leads.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/7084/SANFORD-Design-Ebony-Pencils.htm

We use Artistic Pursuits, so we got our pencils through MisterArt. Here's what they had to say about pencils for this age range:

http://artisticpursuits.com/mfaqs.htm#06

What is the difference between a regular pencil and art pencils?

Regular pencils do not have a wide range of hard to soft leads. This affects the value or ability to get a dark mark. Art pencils have a very wide range of hard to soft leads. The Ebony pencil used in Grades K-3 and Grades 4-6 is a very soft graphite, enabling students to get dark marks easily. Although we say "lead" there is no lead content in a graphite pencil and they are perfectly safe to use.

Here's what they suggest, although you may want different varieties of the hard/soft leads.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/7084/SANFORD-Design-Ebony-Pencils.htm

You have been so kind to help me so much. I thank you, and my littles thank you!

Angela