Menu

Could we skip Critical Thinking 2 and move on to Int. Logic?

Katie.Louise

Hi,

I have a 7th grader (starting in fall) that worked through most of Critical Thinking 1 in 6th grade. She had worked through mind benders warm-up, 1, maybe 2 in 5th grade.

I was checking in my WTM and it says Introductory Logic for 7th grade.

Is is okay for us to skip CT 2 and move on to IL?

Thanks,

Katie

Hi,

I have a 7th grader (starting in fall) that worked through most of Critical Thinking 1 in 6th grade. She had worked through mind benders warm-up, 1, maybe 2 in 5th grade.

Thanks,

Katie

We did MB, and did CT 1 and 2. I have IL 1 and 2, and TL 1 and 2 (will use TL instead of IL). In looking at all of that, I would say that it will be OK to skip CT 2 and move on to IL.

We did MB, and did CT 1 and 2. I have IL 1 and 2, and TL 1 and 2 (will use TL instead of IL). In looking at all of that, I would say that it will be OK to skip CT 2 and move on to IL.

Thanks Colleen,

Do you mind if I ask why you are using TL instead of IL?

Katie

Hi,

Thanks,

Katie

The newest edition of TWTM recommends Traditional Logic.

I'll be using TL also with my 7th grader in the fall. We haven't finished CT2 but we are still trying to get through most of it this summer.

Thanks Colleen,

Do you mind if I ask why you are using TL instead of IL?

Katie

When I got stumped on CT 1 ch. 2 (symbolic logic), I started searching past logic threads here, because I knew nothing about logic. I found that you can go one of two routes: symbolic logic or word-based logic. I had also looked over IL, and freaked out, lol. Then I realized that IL was more about symbolic logic and TL was more about word-based logic. As I thought about it more, I realized I wanted a logic to help with writing, and TL seemed to be the way to go for that. Then I read the new WTM last year, and TL is now the recommended program, rather than IL. It confirmed what I had been thinking. The former WTMs say TL is excellent, but might be hard for 7th and 8th graders. But the new WTM says there is a video to go with it, that would make it easier. So I'm going to try. Even without the video, lol.

I also read somewhere that TL is a good base if you want to do IL later, for computer programming purposes. Sounded good to me.