Menu

HOD vs AWOA

CashCrew

I have used part of HOD and I am now using AWOA and I love AWOA!!! HOD was good but I prefer the continuity of a true unit study. It depends on the ages of your kiddos and what you prefer. AWOA is so beautifully wriiten and the writing instruction is top notch.

HTH!

Christa

I really like both programs. I have used AWOA with my dd a couple of different ways and going to use it with my ds this year. I am a major tweaker, so I can't really say I used it as is. However, I think it would be great just the way it is. I used HOD with my ds last year and I plan to use it again year after next.

HOD is age segregated. They want each child to work in a program that is geared to their level. AWOA can be used with very little alteration for a wide age range. AWOA includes all of their own original curriculum for everything from science to writing and grammar. The only thing you need to add is math and if you want to you can add a foreign language and typing, which they do recommend. HOD puts resources together to form a cohesive whole. They use different things from different publishers, but give context to what you are doing to tie everything together. They have recommendations for specific math and schedule that with extra activities. Foreign language isn't addressed from what I remember and neither is typing.

Both curricula are definitely Christian based, but IMHO HOD is more forced. She seems to try to incorporate spirituality into every aspect of the curriculum even when their really isn't any. In that respect I prefer the tone of AWOA because she includes Bible study and ties in history when it fits, but doesn't force it into subjects that don't naturally lend themselves to that. Each has scripture memory built in, which I like.

Both of them incorporate a wide variety of activities into the curriculum and vary the frequency so that the child isn't doing the same things over and over. I think the science in AWOA is slightly more academic, but I like the inclusion of lab reports in HOD.

Again, I really love each for different reasons and depending on age, might recommend either.

HTH