Menu

For those who have used AG for 2 or more years, how is retention?

I'm thinking of doing this over 6-8 grade but a little worried if they retain it during the "review weeks" and also over the long run.

And do you feel it is thorough-truly everything they need for grammar? I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to cover things like tense, cases, usage (lie/lay), etc. (We haven't done any of that so I want to do something that covers it.)

Dd will be 5th grade so I'm looking at this for the following year, but I need to know all this to figure out what to do about grammar for this year. Thanks!

(x-post K-8 board)

My ds has completed years 1 and 2 of AG and part of 3 in grades 6-8. It was very helpful for him to solidify everything from elementary school, in which we had used a variety of things, most recently Rod and Staff. He find it much less "painful" than RS, even though that was very comprehensive.

I don't know if from our experience you can draw conclusions about retention because he was being exposed to review of grammar in other courses - an online English class and 2 years of Latin - but he does have a good grasp of grammar. In his English class, the focus was primarily on writing with just quick overviews of grammar, so he would have been lost without having done AG first. He didn't seem to have many grammar problems in his writing. It gave him a good solid foundation.

His weakest area is comma usage, which was not helped by the fact that he got so busy, we didn't finish all of part 3 (comma usage!). I'm hoping to rectify that this year, by finishing up AG part 3 the end of the summer and then continuing with the high school review books. HTH!!