Menu

xpost: Would Chalkdust work for...

...a non-mathy type kid who utterly loathes math?

I've been planning on having dd 13 retake Prealgebra this year alongside her 12 yo brother because she not only abhors math, but is also simply not comfortable with it. She can do it, but feels that she can't, iykwim. So, my thought was to have both using CD. In researching, however, I've seen many comments to the effect that Chalkdust is not a good fit for students who do not like math or who are not particularly gifted in that area. Thus, I am wondering if I should try something else.

Has anyone here had experience with a dc like mine using Chalkdust? Did your student do well with it and did she come away enjoying math even a little more?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

My oldest is a math whiz. Any program would have worked with him, and CD did.

My second was convinced that she wasn't very good at math. She was very dawdly and just didn't cement her facts until later than I hoped she would. We switched to ABeka from MUS for elementary, and that helped her (ABeka has lots of drill, which she needed).

I was nervous about high school math. We started CD with her and it clicked. She did it all the way through calculus and really liked it. The books were challenging enough that she Now she thinks she is good at math, her work shows that she is, and she likes it.

I don't know if her success was because of CD, but CD helped her become a better math student.

I have heard the opposite happening as well, so I don't really know what to tell you.

Best wishes,

GardenMom