Menu

CLEP/AP

Just finished reading "College Without Compromise" which shared some interesting info. about "credit by examination." We're planning on sending our children to a 4-yr. college, but agree that obtaining college credit during high school is a great idea, both financially and to lessen the stress/time in college. Experienced in this? Fill me in. Thanks!

We have looked into this and I have two different answers.

First, my DH took CLEP while in the military. He took a few classes but being transferred from one base to another makes it difficult. He is now out of the Army and went to a few colleges around our area to finish up his degree. Their response was "CLEP what?" No one really knew about them or how to process them. We area talking about a few different colleges here. That's not to say that they will go to waste, we just have to put more work into finding the right college or path. DH hasn't looked too much as jobs and commitments have made it a bit hard lately.

As for our our DD, I think CLEP are a great idea. I really want her to do them as well. After reading up I know that a bit will depend on the college; some accept them and some won't. You might want to see if the colleges that are in mind accept them first. Since my DD is not quite sure where she wants to go, we plan on doing the SAT2 as the primary test and CLEP when we can. I'm willing to spend for the test and have it as a possibility later. Even if the college doesn't accept it as a credit, my thoughts are that on the portfolio they will see that she is versed in the "mommy" credit given. I have heard of others taking the CLEP test, going to community college and finishing up an Associate Degree and then transferring that degree to a 4 year college to finish up.

My final answer is find out what path you want to take and will the CLEP be accepted. If you don't know your path then decide if the investment of money/time is worth a test score that has a chance of not being used. If you are willing for a possibility then go for it and have no regrets.