Menu

Need help identifying computer programs to use

swimmermom3

I am looking over a variety of projects for my 12 yo son to do during his medieval studies starting this fall. Several of the projects are done on the computer; however, I am not familiar with the types of programs they would require. If someone could help me with that, I would appreciate it.

1. Create a computerized model of Herod's Temple, Masada or the Catacombs.

2. Design simulations of various barbarian tribes' lives.

3. Create a Virtual Quest or Treasure Hunt - create a virtual hunt through e-mail or computer programming that has the user searching for successive clues about an educational topic and leads them to a successful conclusion of the search.

These are from Winter Promise.

The first can be done in something like paintshop pro easily. The second and third could be done in something like powerpoint (the open source version too) using buttons for directions. You could draw on the power slide and use arrows to move forward and backward with a you are here map in the background. Quite time consuming but would be neat. Powerpoint will flash the slide show in full screen and you would make something like a flipbook using the arrows to direct you to new slides. I think this would be the easiest way. I would, however, program it <giggle> but then I am a programmer. :) If you have questions, hunt me down.

The 3rd (Webquest) could be a lot of fun and it would be nice for him to have something educational published on the net for others to learn from. When I reseached webquests a few years ago, there were easy to use Webquest sites that offered the template, space and publishing. I think some of these are free too.

The 3rd (Webquest) could be a lot of fun and it would be nice for him to have something educational published on the net for others to learn from. When I reseached webquests a few years ago, there were easy to use Webquest sites that offered the template, space and publishing. I think some of these are free too.

Thank you! It was a whole, new experience researching Webquests - now that I know they exist.;)

With using the powerpoint, this could be published to the web too for others to use. Ah dang, this sounds too neat. <thinking>

Where did you get this list of projects? Share them if you found them? I am interested in some of these!

Chrissy, the ideas came from Winter Promise's Investigate the Middle Ages: Projects & Quests in Medieval Culture. While I don't use their curriculum, I like their exclusive project books. We used their Ancient Egypt one last year. Thanks for giving me a direction to get started on and the incentive to pull out my PowerPoint tutorial.