Menu

We're getting our large Cedar and Elm trees removed

I am sad about this but DH really wants it. The trees require a lot of maintenance and are also horrible at dropping branches and stuff. We'd like to do something nice with the wood though, like cedar furniture or something to that effect. Any ideas of how I would go about arranging that?

Please don't flame me for killing large beautiful (though high-maintenance trees) - we are actually environmentally conscience people. This is just something that DH really wants.

Thanks for positive input.

Angela

I think what I would do is look in the yellow pages for lumber yards and call. You would need to transport the "logs" to a lumber mill that could rough cut them, then fine cut them into useable planks. I'm not sure that cedar or elm would be worth it. I know that some people have done this with walnut trees, though.

Whereabouts are you located? My dh is on a lumberjack forum, and he can see who is in your area. These are honest to goodness lumberjacks and I'd contact them first before anyone. In fact, one crew from this forum is currently on the Ax Men series now airing.

My dh doesn't mill would himself but would love to quit his secular job to do so. We've had some trees of ours milled that we had cut down.

When you do this...you need a place to store all that wood while it's drying. I guess you can send it somewhere and have it done for you, etc.

We have a garage full of boards from 2 trees. We won't be parking cars in there for years to come. One tree was 150+ years old...rings got too tight to count anymore.

Tab

A few years ago we took three large birch trees out of our back yard and my father made several pieces of furniture from them, including my dining room table.

We are lucky to know a family who runs a small mill, and I would think finding something similar in your area would be the best way to go.

I would start with the local phone book and by speaking with all of your friends and neighbors.

We're in the Kansas City area. I'd like to know whatever you find out...DH wants me to schedule this soon, so if you get info early this week it would be great, but please don't put yourself to any trouble!

Angela

Okay, I've already told dh and he said he'd post on the Forestry Forum tonight. He thinks there are quite a few guys in your area.

I'll get back with ya (he just started watching a movie with the kiddos).

Tab