Menu

Question for Oregon residents

I hear of so many programs available for kids in other states - free community college courses, guaranteed admission with Associate's degree, etc.

Is there anything in Oregon that we should be aware of? It seems like there is almost nothing here.

I am even fighting like mad to get the local ESD to offer a driver's ed course and it is probably futile.

Dana

Dana, I'm no help but thought I would at least reply. :)

My oldest tried to attend the local comm. college before 18. She could never get into the classes she needed because she was the low man on the totem pole. DD probably would have had better luck if she would have taken the GED and then attended the cc. She didn't want to, so we waited until she turned 18 to sign up for classes. It was easy sailing after that. DD earned her AA and went straight over to OSU (I think this is what dd did). There was a little glitch about not having a high school diploma which made me laugh seeing as she had an associates degree already. It was cleared up quickly.

If I had to do it over again...I would have gone to the cc's main campus and visited the folks in charge of high school age students. The branch campus personnel didn't like dealing with us.

Dana, I'm no help but thought I would at least reply. :)

My oldest tried to attend the local comm. college before 18. She could never get into the classes she needed because she was the low man on the totem pole. DD probably would have had better luck if she would have taken the GED and then attended the cc. She didn't want to, so we waited until she turned 18 to sign up for classes. It was easy sailing after that. DD earned her AA and went straight over to OSU (I think this is what dd did). There was a little glitch about not having a high school diploma which made me laugh seeing as she had an associates degree already. It was cleared up quickly.

If I had to do it over again...I would have gone to the cc's main campus and visited the folks in charge of high school age students. The branch campus personnel didn't like dealing with us.

Thank you Polly. We can't do much in the way of CC unless it was distance learning, and I am not sure if that is an option we would like to pursue since it would end up costing $$ and may not transfer. We live hours away from an actual CC campus.

I am really frustrated with Oregon in general and the less-than-adequate services we get for paying such high taxes, especially on the eastern side of the state. This driver's ed situation in particular has me angry. We would have to drive 1.5 hours each way, 2x a week, for ten weeks, in order to take driver's ed in another city, in addition to paying about $250 in tuition. That's 60 hours of driving for me plus wrecking any schedule or vacation this summer -- we won't do it. But we have a qualified driver's ed teacher in town here, willing to teach, but an arbitrary rule about minimum class size is preventing our ESD from conducting the class. :glare: