Menu

where do you go or have gone after McRuffy phonics K?

Aoife

We did OPGTR halfway and are now switching over to the transition package McRuffy K and AAS1. I was trying to come up with a plan for what comes next and am just kinda lost on whether to go onto McRuffy 1st grade or just use AAS along with something else. this would be for DS1's K year BTW. We will be starting FLL at that time and I don't want to load him down with a ton of LA stuff since he's more of a math kid but he does seem to really like McRuffy. So I am curious to see what others have done or what your ideas are for where to go next. We will be staying with AAS for our spelling program if that helps at all.

TIA!

We liked McRuffy K a lot and got 1st grade to continue with it. We hit a wall after 6 weeks and now I'm going to wait and see if he just needs a break or something else. The readers are fun, but the spelling words went up to 10 per week, and grammar started, and each lesson requires writing 10-15 words. With the handwriting on top of that, we had to start stretching out a lesson for two days. I love how all LA is together, but the drawback I'm seeing now is that my ds's reading progress is being slowed down by his lack of interest in handwriting, grammer, and spelling. When I asked my ds if he would like me to sell it to get something else, he said no, he loves McRuffy, he just needs a break. (We started 1st as soon as we finished K without a break until now). So I plan to do just the reading and possibly come back to the workbooks later.

If you're going to use FLL and AAS, I suggest just getting the McRuffy readers to go with those and just come up with comprehension questions. The McRuffy 1st workbooks mostly cover spelling and grammer, only one page per week has questions about the reader.

You might want to check out Dynamic Phonics by McRuffy, it has all the teaching guides for phonics without the grammer and spelling (it's McRuffy K-3 altogether). You could use that to teach reading with the readers. HTH!

Edited by Devotional Soul