Menu

Hi Perry: dyslexia/reading question

Perry,

As you know, I think you're awesome and you've been so helpful w/ my 7 yr. old's reading issues.

I'm using the I See Sam books and instruction did not come with them. Not to sound totally dumb, but am i supposed to have my son read each book 3X? More?

I'm having him read a book about 3 X a day to me so that our lessons are short and sweet. He's doing beautifully. Than you again! But I don't know the logic behind using this type of book. A book a week over and over? A book a day? What did you do?

Also did you buy the series up to the 4th grade? And are you selling yours?? :001_smile:

Also -- because you're so smart -- what did you think of the latest sunscreen study that came out a few days ago? We're very pale so we can't tan for a few minutes each day and become "protected." (I don't even believe in that idea. A dermo once told me that any color at all is a sign of skin break down and damage.)

I went out and bought California Baby which is on the approved list -- and way expensive. What are your thoughts?

I didn't pm you because I thought others would like her benefit from your expertise.

THANKS!!!!

Alley

You are very sweet. But you overestimate. :)

Here are the general instructions for using BRI and ARI. I never used the flashcards, but we did write new words on the board and go over them a few times if he didn't get them right away. I highly recommend the notched card at the beginning. Maybe you are past that stage already though.

We read each book once or twice a day at the beginning. When we got to the longer books, we did about 15-20 minutes per day. We read the book over and over until he could read them smoothly and fluently before going on to the next. If he is doing well with 3x a day, I'd keep that up. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

I bought the whole series, but I'm hanging on to them. The first 52 books are available here, although someone once calculated this and figured it's almost as expensive to print them out as it is to buy them. There used to be a very helpful BRI group on Yahoo groups, but I don't know if it's still active. I unsubscribed to it last year.

Regarding sunscreens- I'm just not sure. We are all dark (except my dh), rarely burn, and have never used sunscreen regularly. We only use it if we're in a situation where we know we'd burn, and those occasions are rare for us. I've always been leery about the chemicals in them and avoid them unless I don't feel we have an alternative.

If we burned, my first choice would be to cover up with long, light shirts and hats. If skin has to be exposed, I guess I'd go with the recommendations here.

I don't know enough about sunscreens to comment on the EWG information. I suspect there's another side to the story.

Here is some interesting information about melanoma and sun exposure. It's complicated and I don't claim to know what's best.

I've always said, "Perry for President!"

And thanks for your thoughts on sun exposure. I trust your opinion.

Yes, we're fair and burn super easily. I have bad memories of visiting Hawaii and frying in the 70's.

I still haven't started the 1,000 whatevers of Vitamin D. I take fish oil and a multi vitamin.

Do you take the 1,000 Vitamin D?

Thanks for your great help!

Alley

I've always said, "Perry for President!"

:lol::lol::lol:

You wouldn't say that if you had met me. Trust me. :D

I still haven't started the 1,000 whatevers of Vitamin D. I take fish oil and a multi vitamin.

Do you take the 1,000 Vitamin D?

I recently had my daughter tested, because she's a little bowlegged :confused: and was having some knee pain. Turns out her vitamin D was low, although she doesn't have rickets.

So I've been doing quite a bit of research on vitamin D deficiency and supplementation. I am waiting on a few articles I had to request through ILI. My preliminary impression is that the current RDA is probably too low, and that 800-1000 mg is probably better. But the "research" is far from conclusive, there are *many* unanswered questions, and the more I read, the more skeptical I am about many of the vitamin D proponents' claims.

I'll pm you with more info after I receive these last few articles. Might be awhile though.

Oh, and I am not taking it, though I've started spending more time in the sun.