Menu

Saxon Phonics?

RahRah

Since I hadn't done a lot of research before getting started, we've been using the HOP for phonics, but I just looked and saw that Saxon has a phonics program -- anyone use this? Should I consider it, or maybe just stick wtih HOP and Ordinary Parents Guide (which I have and supplement with as needed).

My 6 YO DD just finished Saxon Phonics 1 through a group class we attended and did very well with it. We are planning to continue with Saxon Phonics 2 on our own in the fall. I have heard that Saxon is unique in their coding and terminology so that is one reason I am planning on continuing with it instead of switching to something else where she would have to learn new symbols/terms, etc. Besides, I am a believer is sticking with what is working unless there is a big reason to try something different.

That being said, my daughter is severly hard-of-hearing and learning to read has been a challenge for her since she cannot depend on the written/phonetic spelling of a word to match the way she has always heard it. For example, she thought that "tire" was spelled "ire" because she doesn't hear the "/t/". The way Saxon Phonics has presented the material has allowed her to identify words that she mishears and figure out how they should sound! To me that is a *huge* testament as to how well this can work.

On the other hand, my older DS used it in his private school classroom for three years (before we started to HS) and he hated it. He was already reading *waaay* above grade-level and didn't understand the need for phonics so he just didn't bother to pay attention. His coding assignment grades were always dismal, but his reading comprehension, spelling, etc. grades were so good, he always had a high grade over all in language arts. He was getting by so he didn't see the need to deal with phonics (another reason we are now HS-ing, to help him understnad the importance of dong things that are not neccessarily fun and his preference, LOL!).

That is our experience for what it's worth! HTH!