Menu

Aha! Moment

I accidentally discovered a way to add more art into our schedule, and I think I've identified dd's learning style in the process. Today, dd was painting some pottery and taking quite a long time to do it, so I decided to go ahead and begin read alouds rather than continue to wait on her to finish. Not only did she pay even better attention (she's always loved stories and has decent recall but today's narrations were better than usual), but she was content and not manic. I've suspected she's a kinesthetic learner, but she's still so young that I wasn't quite sure, but after today, I really think she learns better when she's doing something. So the new plan is to combine art, playdough, fingerknitting, etc. with read alouds. Saves time and produces better results! I know it may sound like a simple thing, but I love days like today!

Guest Cindie2dds

Good to hear. We are going to start AO 1 in August also and I was wondering about reading and having my dd use her hands at the same time. When she's doing an art project from OM, I've read to her and she's recalled what I've read. If I let her do anything else (dolls, jewels, blocks, magnets, etc.) she doesn't even know the littlest bit of the story. I think painting, color, working with clay might just be the key to my wiggle worm. Thanks for sharing.