Menu

Powell's Books Question

When I am looking at used books on Powell's it will list a book at a certain price, condition "standard". Then it will list the same book, same "standard" condition at a higher price???

So what is the deal? Is the more expensive book in better condition, but they just don't take the time to detail that condition? Why (or how) would I choose one book over another?

When I have been in Powell's, I compare the prices of the used copies. Sometimes there is no difference in condition. Sometimes there is. I'm pretty sure that before becoming so computerized, the clerks used to price the books themselves. Now they just seem to scan the book to determine prices.

Some places, like Exodus, will pull a book off the shelf and describe its condition. With Powells, I guess you just take a chance. In the stores, the nicest used copy might be the cheapest of them all.

So ordering online it is just a blind pick?

I guess so. They would still fall within the condition specified, some would just be better bargains than others.

In 11 years of ordering from them, I've only had 1 book that I fail to be of the quality indicated. When I showed it to someone in the store, she refunded my money and let me keep it. The binding was broken.