Menu

Missing a few things yet... here's a loose outline for dd11

mommy4ever

English language arts, I'm still struggling with this. I can't get it to flow. And I can't figure out what level she is at. She reads daily. She's reading the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I ask her to tell me about it, in full sentences. I have her read out loud daily as well. She'll read some of the WTM recommends for SOTW, the storybooks or poetry to her younger sister. I don't know what else she should be doing. We are waiting on AG to arrive, I opted for this one, as my older 2 require it as well. If it too complex, we'll go to JAG, and the younger can use it in a few years. What else should we be doing? Oh, :tongue_smilie: I can't even begin to plan for next year, as I still don't know what I should do with her.

The rest is coming a little easier....

History - I'm still trying to figure out how to make it more challenging for her, but she's enjoying what we are doing. Today we picked up a TON of books on Ancient Egypt, so we'll have more references, some are pretty funny. I don't not see the point of embalming your bull.... but there are eccentric people every where and apparently during any millennium. I hope to delve a little deeper into this for her. Still not sure of how, but we'll get there.

Science - she is starting to study insects, and other small creatures. She brought home some frog eggs tonight, I hesitate to allow it as frogs are soon all going to be protected, however where they were found in the next week or so will be dug up for a new residential area, so their survival rate in the city is low, regardless. Some time this week, we are picking up a butterfly kit. Plus we have the recommended book from WTM arriving at any time. So she will be having some fun. We are also out in the country every weekend, and lots of other things to observe there too.

French - we are plugging along with that, she is reading daily in french and giving a narration on it. She also makes notes of words she's unsure of, and looks them up.

Math - We've been plugging along not to bad. DD11 is making progress in math. And she's relaxed and enjoying it. Laughing at me for being stumped here and there, but we're doing well. We are using Math Mammoth. We quickly go over it, then she goes to work. Right now some of it she HAS done :001_huh: at school previously, but the stuff before she hadn't, so we are moving at a good pace.

She is enrolled in a variety of art classes that have been set up for homeschool families.

She is in piano lessons.

She is in a swimming/diving/gymnastics program.

I try to plan a weekly project. Last week it was sock monsters :lol: We used hand sewing - back stitch, and she learned to sew on buttons. The week before she did nanaimo bars(yummy!) Not sure what this week will hold. Hmm maybe she should learn to do laundry?

English language arts, I'm still struggling with this. I can't get it to flow. And I can't figure out what level she is at. She reads daily. She's reading the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I ask her to tell me about it, in full sentences. I have her read out loud daily as well. She'll read some of the WTM recommends for SOTW, the storybooks or poetry to her younger sister. I don't know what else she should be doing. We are waiting on AG to arrive, I opted for this one, as my older 2 require it as well. If it too complex, we'll go to JAG, and the younger can use it in a few years. What else should we be doing? Oh, :tongue_smilie: I can't even begin to plan for next year, as I still don't know what I should do with her.

I don't know if you were looking for suggestions or not but do you have spelling\vocabulary or writing in your plan?

I seems she is reading enough. If she is a good speller you may want to just look at some type of vocab program for her. Maybe something that teaches Latin or Greek roots. Is she doing any writing in History or Science? If you don't want to look at purchasing a writing curriculum you could implement the methods suggested in WTM or SWB's lectures on PHP. (The lectures actually talk you through a writing plan that works across the curriculum so you don't have to purchase a separate program) Basically written summaries (just 4 to 5 lines) of what she has read in history or science, a few outlines (at her age one or two level) from her reading and answering a few literary questions, in writing, about the literature she is reading. If you are looking at really beefing up her history you could look at History Odyssey. They have a try before you buy link where you could download several of the first lessons. Even if you weren't wanting to purchase HO it would give you some ideas on a few extra writing\research assignments.

I wanted to mention that I am going to be using AG with my dd11 next year (July) too. I was concerned it might be a little too much for her so my plan is to break the first section of 10 weeks into 20 weeks adding in extra reinforcement if needed. Whereas I haven't actually done this I thought I would mention it as an alternative to purchasing JAG for her.

Like I said, no one gave you any responses all day so I wasn't sure you were looking for suggestions or not but ... there they are.:D

Hope you find something that works for your dd.

I don't know if you were looking for suggestions or not but do you have spelling\vocabulary or writing in your plan?

Yes, I was looking for some suggestions. Thanks for replying :)

I have some of the higher level AAS coming for her, to start with, but we need to add vocabulary and keep it growing.

I seems she is reading enough. If she is a good speller you may want to just look at some type of vocab program for her. Maybe something that teaches Latin or Greek roots. Is she doing any writing in History or Science? If you don't want to look at purchasing a writing curriculum you could implement the methods suggested in WTM or SWB's lectures on PHP.

She loves to read. She's not like dd13, who loves to read essentially anything, dd11 likes books of substance. I have started accumulating a reading list for her, thanks to the great people on the forums :)

If you are looking at really beefing up her history you could look at History Odyssey. They have a try before you buy link where you could download several of the first lessons. Even if you weren't wanting to purchase HO it would give you some ideas on a few extra writing\research assignments.
Thanks!! I will look into that. I have been following WTM, as dh didn't want to spend much this year, so my operating budget is pretty low. If there are some ways for me to expand my knowledge on how to educate her, without spending too much, that is always great :)

I wanted to mention that I am going to be using AG with my dd11 next year (July) too. I was concerned it might be a little too much for her so my plan is to break the first section of 10 weeks into 20 weeks adding in extra reinforcement if needed. Whereas I haven't actually done this I thought I would mention it as an alternative to purchasing JAG for her.

Good to know! DD11 has NO background in grammar, well, none of the older kids do, for that matter. Our schools seem to touch on it maybe in 2nd or 3rd grade and never build on it. So I am doing a writing/grammar program with ds15 starting when AG gets here, so he is better prepared for his diploma exams in a couple years, as he struggles horribly in writing. So there will be 3 moving through AG together. But likely at different rates..lol.

I am going to go back to the drawing board. I'm stuck on LA, because she has so many holes in what she has learned so far, that a 'box set' may be find in some areas, but leave her struggling in others, leading to much frustration.