Menu

Anyone using Old Fashioned Education?

I have been going to the OFE site on and off for a few years now, but never get past printing more than one book before I decide not to use OFE (mainly because my goal at the time was keeping the children combined). I'm trying to get them working more independently now. Programs like the Robinson Curriculum are great for this, but I don't want to pay for Robinson when most of the books are available online for free.

Just wondering- if you use OFE (we'd use it for everything except Bible and the 3R's), do you like the book selections? Can you save the books on a CD and have them printed at Staples (or somewhere like that), or does that cost even more than just doing it yourself? I get my ink super cheap on ebay, so I don't think printing would cost too terribly much; it's just a hassle since I have to flip the stack over to do the backs of the pages, and pray that the printer doesn't pull two pages through at once and mess everything up!

I'm mainly considering this for my rising 3rd grader. It looks like she could do either the 2nd grade or 3rd grade books from OFE, depending on whether I want her to do American history or Ancients.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I also considered OFE, but when I saw the booklists for Ambleside Online, I liked them much more. Perhaps you could combine your favorites from OFE/Robinson (and AO if you like it).

I bought a cheap laser printer ($25.) and put the selections in a 3-ring binder. I print consecutively on 1 side, and then flip upside down (so each opposing page will be upside down). That way, dd can read halfway through, then flip the binder upside down and read the rest. And if my printer skips a page every now and then, it doesn' matter. :) I have printed about 2 years' worth of material on the original cartridge, but I will have to refill it for next year.

Take care.

Suzanne

I also considered OFE, but when I saw the booklists for Ambleside Online, I liked them much more. Perhaps you could combine your favorites from OFE/Robinson (and AO if you like it).

I bought a cheap laser printer ($25.) and put the selections in a 3-ring binder. I print consecutively on 1 side, and then flip upside down (so each opposing page will be upside down). That way, dd can read halfway through, then flip the binder upside down and read the rest. And if my printer skips a page every now and then, it doesn' matter. :) I have printed about 2 years' worth of material on the original cartridge, but I will have to refill it for next year.

Take care.

Suzanne

Where did you find a laser printer for only $25???

I love the idea of flipping upside down. That would take all of the stress out of 2-sided printing for me. :)

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

Where did you find a laser printer for only $25???

I bought mine from a guy my brother works with, who was also selling them on ebay at that time (don't know if he still is or not). But I just found this one, similar to mine on ebay for a little more money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-LASERJET-2100-SERIES-PRINTER-TESTED-4-MB-30-DAY-/220599926365?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item335cc7be5d

Take care!

Suzanne.