Menu

CLE Math or Teaching Textbooks?

DaisyMay

We have been using CLE Math 5 and it's been going well for my son, but has been starting to become a problem for my daughter (11). She is really struggling lately. We have taken extra time on each lesson and I've been re-teaching the concepts, but I'm a little worried that it's crushing her spirit.

She's not a mathy girl (reading and writing are her strong suits), so I'm not too worried about her going into a math-heavy field. I just want her to understand math enough for college and life beyond. I don't want it to be an area that discourages her.

I saw Teaching Textbooks at a homeschool convention and it looks like it might be good for her. Does anyone know how it compares to CLE? She really needs daily review... does TT have that? We have done BJU in the past with the dvd's, but there just wasn't enough review. She couldn't remember the concepts beyond the chapter.

I looked at the TT placement tests, and they look so easy. She's doing things now in CLE 5 that are introduced in TT 7. Maybe it being easier would help her confidence.

I'm just not sure I want to switch math, but she sure needs something!

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Gayle

We switched from TT to CLE because I felt my dc were not being challenged enough.:tongue_smilie: CLE is definitely way ahead as far as scope & sequence go, their levels are much more difficult, they introduce things much earlier.

My ds who finished TT6 with 98% correct (that score includes every problem from every lesson, quiz, and test) is now working happily through CLE 500. But, he's mathy. I could easily have put him in TT7 but that's where my dd tested and I didn't want the competition, besides, he was only in 4th grade at the time.

My dd is the opposite. TT was great for her and awful for her for the same reason: it let mom be too hands off. I wasn't diligent about checking her work everyday and making her redo (on her own then with me) the problems she got wrong. As a result, when she finished TT7 we spent 3 weeks reviewing it (redoing most of the problems she had gotten wrong throughout the year, I know, I know, I'm a mean mom!;)). She's now doing CLE 700 and averaging in the high 80%'s. TT was a great break for her for a year, it made our hs much more peaceful.

TT may work well for your daughter, just be sure to check up on her work at least once a week, don't let it go! TT is gentle and spiral and has step-by-step solutions for every problem. It's also labeled a level "higher" than other programs so be sure to take the placement test.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV. Others will chime in! There have been tons and tons of threads on TT, too. You can do an archive search and read to your heart's content!:D

Thanks for the heads up on keeping track of their progress! This is my diligent perfectionist daughter who "wants the most out of her education" (her words, not mine), but you never know!

Anyone else?:bigear:

Gayle