Menu

Lci & Lcii=ll1 & Ll2 ????

April in WA

Can someone tell me if LCI & II would be the equivalent of Lively Latin 1 & 2? I'm guessing it would since I think the LL author says to move into Henle I after her two courses. I would love someone with more exposure to both these programs to offer their opinions.

I am also interested in knowing if it's feasible for a child who has already done LCI and half of LCII to cruise through LL1 & 2 in one school year? I know my boys do not have a solid understanding of what they have studied and need reinforcement. I also do not have the time this next year to devote to an intense Latin study but want to keep the skills fresh with the intention of continuing with another program the following year. Does this sound like a doable plan? I appreciate any wisdom you can give.

Blessings,

April in WA

Donelda,

I emailed Catherine Drown, the creator of Lively Latin, yesterday asking my question directly to her and she quickly responded. I 've included the complete text below. I hope this will benefit you and others. I will be ordering the first book this week in preparation for next year.

Blessings,

April in WA

My email:

I have two boys who have completed Latin Christiana I and half of LCII. I am having great difficulty keeping them interested and motivated to continue their Latin study. I am hopeful Lively Latin might help change that for them and my youngest who has completed Prima Latina and caught my sons’ bad attitude for Latin. It is my desire for all my children to continue learning Latin but don’t have the energy to force it. Also, next year I really need something that will not require a lot of time and effort for any of us because of other subjects needing attention. That said, I do not want to lose what we have learned.

I am thinking Lively Latin would be a good review of what my boys have learned and keep their skills fresh to continue on with another program the following year. Since most of what I see in Lively Latin my boys have covered in LCI and LCII, I was thinking we could cover both your books in one school year. Do you think this would be an appropriate course of action? Thanks for helping me on the Latin journey.

Her response:

Thanks for your inquiry. I think using BB1 as a review is a great idea. It should be fairly easy for your older 2 boys and they should certainly be able to do most of it independently. BB2 will be a bit more of a challenge since it roughly parallels LCII and they haven’t finished it yet, but again, with the momentum of the review behind them and hopefully a more interesting course for them, they will be motivated to continue on. I think they could easily finish both books in a year (and perhaps be ready for BB3 when it appears in 2009).

One suggestion: I don’t know if you all have studied Roman history along with LC, but whether you have or not, it’s something you can take or leave, depending on your schedule next year. It’s included in the BB but you can glide past those sections if you want, to make the course less demanding.

It will be fun (hopefully!) for all your kids to be in the same book so they can chant together and quiz each other and play hangman on the Study with the Magistra site, etc.

Hope this helps.

--Catherine Drown