Menu

Has anyone used Horizons Health (or do you know of a good 1st grade Health)?

BatmansWife

In putting together my list for next year, I realize I haven't really decided on Health. It's a requirement in our state (otherwise I wouldn't even worry about it). Horizons Health looks good. Or the 3 books Healthy Me / Sense-Abilities / Watch Me Grow. Has anyone used these, or do you have any other suggestions. I think I just need something basic, since this is just for 1st grade.

I used Healthy Me this year, and it's definitely fun and easy. But we're switching to Horizons 1 next year. It's required by my state here, too, and...I don't know. Health just often fell by the wayside, you know? Now, what I really liked was the ability to take an activity or two from the book, do it, and check out some library books. I think it worked well. So if that appeals to you, give it a try! Really, I had planned to do the same for next year, but just recently I've decided that since DD is a workbook lover anyway, going with Horizons will just mean one less thing for me to plan, structure, and get done.

I do intend to purchase Sense-Abilities to supplement our human body section of biology next year, though. Since it's the same author, I'm betting we'll put it to good use at some point.

HTH! :001_smile:

I used Healthy Me this year, and it's definitely fun and easy. But we're switching to Horizons 1 next year. It's required by my state here, too, and...I don't know. Health just often fell by the wayside, you know? Now, what I really liked was the ability to take an activity or two from the book, do it, and check out some library books. I think it worked well. So if that appeals to you, give it a try! Really, I had planned to do the same for next year, but just recently I've decided that since DD is a workbook lover anyway, going with Horizons will just mean one less thing for me to plan, structure, and get done.

I do intend to purchase Sense-Abilities to supplement our human body section of biology next year, though. Since it's the same author, I'm betting we'll put it to good use at some point.

HTH! :001_smile:

Thanks Kirsten for the reply. Sounds like we have the same kind of ideas going on about Health (or maybe it's because that's pretty much all the choices there are at this age). :001_smile:

We just used A Beka's 1st grade book. I didn't have to do anything once dd was reading. She reads the section on her own, and there are little fun things to color or fill out every so often. If you're only doing it because it's "required," pick something open and go!

Blessings!

Dorinda

We just used A Beka's 1st grade book. I didn't have to do anything once dd was reading. She reads the section on her own, and there are little fun things to color or fill out every so often. If you're only doing it because it's "required," pick something open and go!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thanks for this suggestion too Dorinda. I'll check into that idea too.

Keep the ideas comin' people!

By the way, Dorinda.....I know you've been here waaaay longer than me judging by the # of your posts. But, just a suggestion........the yellow in your signature is impossible to read. I can't tell what your ducklings are using unless I highlight it. Yellow is a nice spring color....but a pain to read. Hope you don't mind me saying so.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I know I stumbled across this after the fact but I am looking for a health curriculum for my dds. My youngest is in 1st so I was looking at Horizons health 1 and thought I would use in for my 3rd and 4th graders as well since they have never really gone through a health program. Now I just looked at Abeka based on another post and am not sure what the best route is. All my children do well with workbooks. I am new to homeschooling. Just did my oldest this past year and am bringing home the others. :) Does anyone have a suggestion for an easy program that we could all do together.

Thanks for this suggestion too Dorinda. I'll check into that idea too.

Keep the ideas comin' people!

By the way, Dorinda.....I know you've been here waaaay longer than me judging by the # of your posts. But, just a suggestion........the yellow in your signature is impossible to read. I can't tell what your ducklings are using unless I highlight it. Yellow is a nice spring color....but a pain to read. Hope you don't mind me saying so.

:lol:

AprilMay,

I don't think I ever read your response to me on this thread. I know, It was horrible, but I was too lazy to change it until now.:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

I bought SchoolAid Health from Rod and Staff Books. It is inexpensive and will be easy to use. It comes in different levels. Just another one for you to consider ....

This year we used a health workbook that I bought from Weekly Reader. My daughter loved it. I haven't checked for this year, but we may add that as well.

Suzanne