Menu

Stressing over taking a test

sweetTN

How do you help your dc deal with stressing out over taking tests? Dd knows the material, but lately it's all tears when she has to take a test. We don't push perfection, just do your best...this is just to see if there is anything we didn't cover enough. Today she had to take a Latin quiz and completely fell apart. At first I thought it was because we had just taken a couple of weeks off and she wasn't comfortable with her grasp of it, but she answered all the questions perfectly including the bonus questions. My only thought is dd is 10 and the hormones are starting to kick in.

Some kids are just like that - they don't test well or they do well but are really nervous. I think it is much personality as anything.

I have two girls (not my own) who both panicked about tests. One did well anyway and one failed badly because of her worry. With both of them I have had to do exactly what you said and explain the test is just to see what you have learned so far, what we missed, and it doesn't matter what your score is. I can't even say, just do your best because then they feel bad if they don't get things right.

It took almost a year of reinforcing, and really following up with not caring and giving no reaction whatsoever to the test results - not good or bad, no praise for good either - to convince them that it is just information about what you know and don't know yet and what I need to do a better job of teaching, to get them to be relaxed about it.

At least the nerves don't cause her to do badly - that is one step in the right direction.