Menu

Time commitment in Classical Writing...

michaeljenn

So... the writing poll really got me thinking. I would really love to try CW, but am afraid of the time commitment it would take.

My question is, how long should I expect to spend on CW lessons with a 13, 12, and 9yo... with a 4 and almost 2yo trailing behind??

Oh... I would also be using Rod and Staff English 4, 6 and 7 with this also:001_smile:

Thanks!!!

Jen

So... the writing poll really got me thinking. I would really love to try CW, but am afraid of the time commitment it would take.

My question is, how long should I expect to spend on CW lessons with a 13, 12, and 9yo... with a 4 and almost 2yo trailing behind??

Oh... I would also be using Rod and Staff English 4, 6 and 7 with this also:001_smile:

Thanks!!!

Jen

I spend 3.5 to 4 hrs a week on CW Homer with ds11. Aseop takes much less time with dd 9. Maybe 2 hours weekly. We do not do additional grammar. The program is very flexible however. Spend as much time as you have. Take 2 weeks to go through a model; there are only 20 models. Then spend only 2 hours weekly. I'm very comfortable skipping some parts some weeks. We make it work for us and I really like it.

I have about the same experience as Angelina. My oldest son is doing R&S grammar 6, and my middle son is doing R&S 5. They are both working through Homer A. Both subjects take us about 1.5 hours a day maximum. This is usually at the beginning of the week. As we move through the week, it takes less time depending on the day, but usually it works down to an hour for both subjects for both boys. I don't have CW or R&S scheduled for Friday, but we use that day to finish up any leftover work from CW; usually it is just to finish up their final writing project.

I really enjoy the R&S/CW combination. It has worked very well in our homeschool, and I've seen great improvement in both grammar and writing for both of my boys.

My experience this past year is the same as previous posters that have one child in Homer and another in Aesop. We use Stewart English, Kiss Grammar, and the Complete Book of Diagramming for grammar instruction.

I'm currently debating between using Harvey's or Analytical Grammar with Storm during 6th grade next year, which will shorten our lessons a bit by using one grammar program instead of two.

Yes and no. We do go through every writing lesson orally in R&S. When a new writing concept is introduced, and I know it won't be covered in CW, then I do have them complete the assignment (such as writing a friendly letter or book report). However, I don't assign all of the writing lessons. Sometimes, I allow them to do their writing assignment orally. They can make note cards and practice in front of the mirror. Then they present it to the other boys and me. It's good public speaking practice, and they still work on organizing their information like they would in a writing assignment.