Menu

TOG or SL--Hakim's History of the US

Handmaiden

We're in the middle of TOG Year 2 and love it.

I'm looking ahead to next year, finishing up Y2 and moving on to Y3. I already own the Hakim set, so I'm glad that we can use the books as our spine.

My burning question is: does TOG address Hakim's somewhat liberal views in the teacher notes and/or D level questions?

I've read that others have used Sonlight's Core 100 IG because it has good discussion questions for Hakim.

Does TOG include something similar?

TIA!

It's my understanding from what I've read on the TOG forums that they are pretty selective about what they have the kids reading out of the books, which is also why they don't use the whole series of her books. Dana, at Tapestry, made the comment that her bias is written in such a way that it is difficult for young kids to pick up on it so that is why they limited the amount they used.

It's my understanding from what I've read on the TOG forums that they are pretty selective about what they have the kids reading out of the books, which is also why they don't use the whole series of her books. Dana, at Tapestry, made the comment that her bias is written in such a way that it is difficult for young kids to pick up on it so that is why they limited the amount they used.

How is that different from any other history book? Do you think most kids pick up on the author's bias in history books?