Menu

How do you list grades on a transcript?

Is it okay to just put 4.0, for example, or do you have to assign an "A" or a number grade - like 95?

My daughter will be home schooling high school through an accredited school, but we have to submit a transcript for the work she's done so far which qualifies for high school credit.

We'll also be doing courses on our own as independent study during the four years. If I do independent study through the school, I have to pay extra and submit work, etc.. The benefit of doing it that way is that it's listed on the transcript, along with the grade, but it's not factored into the grade point average. If we did it on our own, and didn't need the credits in order to meet graduation requirements, we could do the independent study and then just make our own transcript to send separately. How do you think colleges would view this? Do you think they'd give more weight to courses listed on the "official" school transcript over ones submitted on a separate transcript?

Thank you for any feedback! :)

If it were me, I would make my own transcript including everything she has done (at school and at home) with a special note for which classes came from the accredited school and attach the transcript from the school. That way, a college can see it all on one page, but the other info is there too. I'd just put a grade-no number on it.

FYI--When we toured U of So. FL last month, they told us they re-calculate the GPA for admissions. They add .5 point for Honors & 1 pt for AP (can't remember how they weigh dual-enrollment classes.) It would be easier for you just to do an un-weighted GPA & let them do their own calculations. And I agree w/Mindy, do 1 transcript covering all classes w/ footnotes designating where "other than home" classes were taken. They'll probably want an official transcript from the school, but at least everything she did would be in one place.