Menu

spelling programs

ProudGrandma

Spinning off another thread...

can someone give me more of a detailed description of Phonetic Zoo and Spelling Power.

I have 3 kids...ages 9,8 and 5. I might be looking for a different program for next year...but with 3 kids (two of them need help) and my oldest is pretty independent. So I am not looking for something too teacher intensive....but effective...what we have now (Spelling Spectrum) has a nice workbook and the kids are learning things...but not a lot of spelling...it's not carrying over like I would like.

Spinning off another thread...

can someone give me more of a detailed description of Phonetic Zoo and Spelling Power.

I have 3 kids...ages 9,8 and 5. I might be looking for a different program for next year...but with 3 kids (two of them need help) and my oldest is pretty independent. So I am not looking for something too teacher intensive....but effective...what we have now (Spelling Spectrum) has a nice workbook and the kids are learning things...but not a lot of spelling...it's not carrying over like I would like.

I've used both Phonetic Zoo & Spelling Power, and just recently started Sequential Spelling with my 10, 9, & 7 year old sons. We've also used Spelling Workout and Spelling Skills.

My oldest did fairly well with Phonetic Zoo--the other 2 did not. They'd study the rules and the words on the card, and take the spelling test from the CD. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be used, though.

I love the idea of Spelling Power, but even though it's just 15 minutes a day, I still couldn't fit it in consistently because it meant 45 minutes with 3 kids. I really like that the student only has to test on words they don't know.

Enter Sequential Spelling :D. I can give the tests to my older 3 at the same time. It takes about 10-15 minutes. And so far they are learning and retaining the patterns.