Menu

Apologia Physical Science 9th grade?

I cannot make up my mind about this. I remember seeing a post a while back that Physical Science for 9th was frowned upon by colleges. Also, my intentions have always been Physical for 8th, Biology 9th, Chem 10th, Physics 11th and then perhaps one other specialized science for 12th.

I was all set to do Physical Science with my dd, who will be 8th next year. However, co-op plans are affecting this. They don't do Physical until 9th grade. HS and MS enrollees have different enrollment requirements, so I don't think it's possible to just have dd in the 9th grade class at co-op.

Personally, I wouldn't even care about the co-op thing, but I'm looking at the co-op to help dh accept homeschooling HS in the first place.

I don't know whether I should just accept the sequence the co-op offers, which will not be the sequence I thought was the normal college-prep sequence or just by-pass the co-op on science and plan the sequence I intended.

One last bit of the puzzle is that dd is not a math/science bound kid, so maybe the less-rigorous science sequence doesn't matter anyway.

We're doing the Apologia physical science this year - 8th, and it's easy enough to do at home. Even the labs use things you can easily put together with only a few items that you'll need to buy.

If you did this in 8th, then she can easily join biology in 9th at the coop - that's more expensive to do on your own considering the lab equipment needed. :)