Menu

please help me decide: tt vs. mm for math

mamatanya

I have a dd who is going into 4th grade. She is very good at math and she catches on to math concepts quite quickly. She is currently in public school and when I asked her teachers opinion about homeschool math curriculum for next year (he is a homeschooling advocate), he said that Dora needs to be teacher led but that she needs a mastery type program. I have narrowed my search down to either Teaching Textbooks or Math Mammoth. I have also considered Life of Fred, my dd is NOT a reader and I am afraid that she will skim read over too much of LOF. So, I am thinking that Math Mammoth is more of a mastery type program, but that it is not as teacher led. Teaching texts does seem teacher led since the nice man explains everything to you. I am not the best with giving examples on how to do math. Sometimes I make no sense to dd. I'd love to get everyones opinions on MM vs. TT.

Oh, and btw, I Meant to add the my dd is an auditory learner which is why her teacher suggested teacher led math.

Edited by mamatanya

Between those two, I'd say Math Mammoth. I really like what I've heard about it, and I've seen her explanation of how to teach multiplication tables. I think it looks strong and the reason I didn't look at it... is that I needed a higher level than what she had... only about a year after we would have started it.

:)

Thank you for your opinion Carrie. I need to go see if she has a placement test because I don't even know if my dd would be able to use it for very long. MM is affordable enough that I could always start out with it and move to teaching texts if it didn't work out.