Menu

Hydrogen Peroxide explosion - never knew it could be dangerous

A hairdresser in the UK died in an explosion caused by igniting hydrogen peroxide (they think she lit a cigarette). Here's the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03/25/uk-teen-dies-blast-cigarette-sparks-hair-bleach/?test=latestnews

I checked the article about hydrogen peroxide on wikipedia and saw that most of it - the kind most of us use for medicinal purposes - is sold in a low concentration in water. It did say that commercial types can be sold in relatively high concentrations. I'm guessing whatever this hairdresser had in her car was of the commercial variety which made it much more volatile and dangerous. I'm just wondering if there is any need to be concerned about the medicinal kind.

A hairdresser in the UK died in an explosion caused by igniting hydrogen peroxide (they think she lit a cigarette). Here's the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03/25/uk-teen-dies-blast-cigarette-sparks-hair-bleach/?test=latestnews

I checked the article about hydrogen peroxide on wikipedia and saw that most of it - the kind most of us use for medicinal purposes - is sold in a low concentration in water. It did say that commercial types can be sold in relatively high concentrations. I'm guessing whatever this hairdresser had in her car was of the commercial variety which made it much more volatile and dangerous. I'm just wondering if there is any need to be concerned about the medicinal kind.

I don't think hydrogen peroxide is flammable by itself. It reacts with other chemicals though, and then can ignite.

From MSDS:

5. Fire Fighting Measures

Fire:

Not combustible, but substance is a strong oxidizer and its heat of reaction with reducing agents or

combustibles may cause ignition. Increases the flammability of combustible, organic and readily

oxidizable materials.

Explosion:

Contact with oxidizable substances may cause extremely violent combustion. Drying of concentrated

hydrogen peroxide on clothing or other combustible materials may cause fire or explosion. Sealed

containers may rupture when heated.

Fire Extinguishing Media:

Water spray may be used to extinguish surrounding fire and cool exposed containers. Water spray will

also reduce fume and irritant gases.

Special Information:

In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing

apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.