Menu

Homeschool Buyer's Coop struck a deal with Thinkwell

Just wanted to let everyone know. If you buy a subscription to Thinkwell through Homeschool Buyer's Coop (membership is free) then it's only $65 right now, instead of $239. You have to buy before April 18th and the more people who participate the lower the price. (The subscription is good for one year.)

Someone just recently was discussing how Thinkwells prices had gone up for homeschoolers. We're going to be using their Chemistry next year as a supplement so I'm very excited about this deal.

(I love saving $$ :hurray:)

Take care,

Bev

Thanks for posting this. I had written off Thinkwell as way too expensive for next year. What I don't understand from the webpages is whether we can choose when we start the clock rolling on the 12 month access. Do you know?

And for anyone else out there--we are planning on doing either an AP or an honours level chemistry course next year. I'm currently dithering between the Zumdahl and the Brown & Lemay texts. Does anyone have any experience using Thinkwell in these situations? I don't really want to do without a text because I want dd to be able to refer back to her text after the Thinkwell access is over.

I copied this from their website:

FULFILLMENT: Within 5 business days of the expiration date, the Co-op will provide you with access to your Thinkwell courses via links in your "My Subscriptions" page in your Co-op account. We will notify you by email when the course links are available

Since the 18th is a Friday, I'm guessing that we'll have notification by the end of Aprilish. I would contact the coop and ask them if you can start it later on or if the sub. has to be started immediately. I'm not too concerned because if it starts at the end of April, I'll just start that subject a little earlier and finish up by end of April next year and have my dd study for the SAT-Chem test after that.

As far as Chemistry goes, I'm using the Kotz, et al. book called Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity as my spine with the accompanying study guide. (SO uses this textbook - both for regular and AP - which is what prompted me to take a look at it in the first place). The TE for this book is availabe for free online. I also have a used copy of both Zumdahl and Chang which I will use to supplement. I found a good deal on The Teaching Company Chemistry DVDs so I'll use those to supplement as well. For experiments, I really like the friendliness of The Joy of Chemistry. The experiments are simple, but the point is made. Thinkwell will provide reinforcement of concepts and testing.

HTH.

I am hopeful as well that we could start a subscription later. I have used Thinkwell before and unless something has changed, all you have to do in enter the code to start the subscription. I hope that means that we will get the code access from the Co-op and you could just enter it when you were ready?

Sounds like quite a deal though!

Hello,

This morning they have put an "FAQ" page for Thinkwell up. The good news is that subscription starts when you activate the code you're given, not at the end of April when the sale ends. So, if you want to wait until September of this year, or the following year, or whenever to start, you can.

Here's the link to the FAQ's.

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/thinkwell-faqs/

If you go directly to the thinkwell site and look at their course descriptions and table of contents pages, you can get a lot of information.

Here is a link to the beginning algebra course page from thinkwell....there are links on the left of it to the TOC and so on.

http://www.thinkwell.com/marketing/viewTitle.cfm?disciplineID=1&displayID=99

I'd go look around there to get more details so you know which one to buy.